What's new

Coffee

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Okay my coffee drinking brothers, I'm tired of Dunkin Donuts and Folgers coffee. I want in on this good stuff you guys are drinking. I'm looking at getting either a Hot Air Popper or Stove Top Popper and a hand grinder ( I leave for work at 5 am and don't want to wake my son with the noise from an electric one). Any recommendations for green coffee in NYC? Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
The "Spanish market" will generally have some awesome (and cheap) stuff from Nicaragua, Honduras, etc.. the little one here in town has 3 kinds I've never heard of that are fantastic. NOTHING like the office coffee I've been drinking..
(Thanks to @NOGILLS2 for turning me on to that!)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
For green coffee to roast at home I'm very happy with Sweet Maria's. I started with an air popper but with a 4oz batch limit and my intake level I burned up a few and then went to a stove top Whirley Popper that will roast a 1lb batch with no problems. The site has decent tutorials and starter kits. Any questions you have feel free to reach out

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Sweet Maria’s I think was a popular website a few brothers here have purchased from in the past.

@BrewinHooligan @Captain Ron @VeLoRoK or any other of the home roasters I probably missed. Can you guys help him down this slope???

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk
I'm not a home roaster. I know myself well enough to stay far, far away from that slope. Someday, maybe, but right now I don't even want to think about it. I'll just overpay fit someone else's great work.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/
http://www.burmancoffee.com/coffeelist/
I use both, sign up and get email sales and specials.
green coffee will last a year, and they are "seasonal."
if you find a bean you like, stock up, because they are "seasonal."
my popper has a blade, instead of a wire like the Whirly. So far I have done over 400 batches, from 6 to 18 ounces.
you can control the roast easily with a halogen flashlight or just listen.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
For green coffee to roast at home I'm very happy with Sweet Maria's. I started with an air popper but with a 4oz batch limit and my intake level I burned up a few and then went to a stove top Whirley Popper that will roast a 1lb batch with no problems. The site has decent tutorials and starter kits. Any questions you have feel free to reach out
Thanks Bud, Just checked out Sweet Marias. They have a very big variety. I saw that Amazon has the stove top popper for $21. Think I'll place the order for this.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/
http://www.burmancoffee.com/coffeelist/
I use both, sign up and get email sales and specials.
green coffee will last a year, and they are "seasonal."
if you find a bean you like, stock up, because they are "seasonal."
my popper has a blade, instead of a wire like the Whirly. So far I have done over 400 batches, from 6 to 18 ounces.
you can control the roast easily with a halogen flashlight or just listen.

Thanks for the advice Bro.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Thanks Bud, Just checked out Sweet Marias. They have a very big variety. I saw that Amazon has the stove top popper for $21. Think I'll place the order for this.
Anytime. For the stove top popper I suggest buying a digital temp probe thermometer to use for consistency if you don't already have one. I pre-heat the popper to around 375f before dropping the beans in then stir at a steady pace until first crack ends which is typically around 420f with the beans I am roasting. Roasting 1lb batches takes me 13-15 minutes with the stove set just above medium.

I got bored really quickly with single origins and started to make blends, finding beans that complimented each other to give me the flavors and body/acidity I wanted. If you decide to start blending though, less is more. I stick to 2-3 varieties in a blend so the flavors they each bring to the table don't get lost and found little to no difference if I roasted separate or together (co-roast) so I co-roast to make it easy.