What's new

Cohiba Robusto - LUB JUL 14

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks to @OtismyMan for hitting me with this!

I’ll start this off with an embarrassing truth … I have never smoked a Cohiba before. I’ve always been curious about them but have steered clear due to the high price point and my fear of really liking them. I know that sounds strange but I like my mid range CC and NC and usually don’t go for the hype and price of the “top tier” stuff.

Construction:

Wrapper has a nice sheen to it and is fairly smooth. The cigar itself is a bit spongy at the foot and into the first third (not over humidified but almost feel under filled).

Beverage: Water

Lighter: Soft Flame

Cutter: Straight cut

Prelight:

Grass, honey, pepper. The draw feels very open. Which may prove to be a good thing.

First Third:

Starts with more spice than I had figured. nice balance of sweet and spicy. Caramel and red pepper. Spice quickly mellows and it mostly sweet hay, almost a honey sweet with a little vanilla. The spice comes and goes but the sweet remains constant. Caramel or almost creme brule.

Second Third:

The vanilla really comes to the front to start. Some cedar starts to mix with the spice. The sweet has turned to a really nice honey. Stays pretty constant throughout this section. Some faint mint is in the background.

Last Third:

Spice returns. It’s a red pepper this time. Fades in and out. The honey is still there and the sweet hay has made a return. First touch up about half way though. Pepper comes to the front with honey and vanilla in the background.

Final Thoughts:

All in all a solid smoke. The sweet and pepper playing off each other and trading prominence throughout was pleasant and entertaining. Robustos are the largest ring gauge I smoke and I think that this marca would shine in a smaller format. Londsdale or Lancero will be where I go next for Cohiba. That being said the price point on these seems a bit high as I enjoy many others (Bolivar and Partagas in particular) more than these as off now. Perhaps age does wonders for these but I’m far more likely to grab two boxes of another marca and lay one down for a long nap while “testing” another.

Total Smoking Time: 1 hour 22 min
1.jpeg

Last edited:

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Stin,
As a guy who never bought Cohiba except for some sig IIs a few years ago. (I thought everything Cohiba was expensive around 09,2010)
I probably regret it more than anything else in my CC smoking journey in life. Cohiba become unquestionably one of the best marcas with 5 or more years of age on them. Truly memorable cigars when aged.
Esplendidos, CEs, CoRos, Sig 2,IV, SigVI are all amazing aged cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Stin,
As a guy who never bought Cohiba except for some sig IIs a few years ago. (I thought everything Cohiba was expensive around 09,2010)
I probably regret it more than anything else in my CC smoking journey in life. Cohiba become unquestionably one of the best marcas with 5 or more years of age on them. Truly memorable cigars when aged.
Esplendidos, CEs, CoRos, Sig 2,IV, SigVI are all amazing aged cigars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info Justin. I'll probably keep my eye out for a box of a different vitola at a good price and throw it in the back of the humi. I'm not judging all Cohiba by this one smoke by any stretch, however it would have to be a really good deal as I have a fairly long shopping list before I get to grabbing some. I do really appreciate the heads up on them becoming amazing however!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Solid, this and the H.U No.2 were my go to for about a week down in the Carribean. As a new guy it was hard for me to get all the notes that you mentioned, but as I look back on them and reading what you said it helped me greatly more understanding the differences of flavor! Great review!

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Thanks for the info Justin. I'll probably keep my eye out for a box of a different vitola at a good price and throw it in the back of the humi. I'm not judging all Cohiba by this one smoke by any stretch, however it would have to be a really good deal as I have a fairly long shopping list before I get to grabbing some. I do really appreciate the heads up on them becoming amazing however!
I'll second Js input, the aged Cohiba I have smoked are some of the finest cigars that earth has to offer. Too bad if you buy new, they're expensive. If you buy aged, super expensive :^(

Great review Justin