What's new

Cohiba Robusto

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new here.

My buddy and I were in a restaurant in another state while there on business the other night. They have a cigar club upstairs with (what they called) a "special" section. Each of us had a Cohiba Robusto. I've never had one before and it was excellent. We are cruising to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel next month. I'd like to some more of them and am wondering where to buy them how I can be sure I'm getting the real thing.

ejchron

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The restaurant had cuban Cohiba's or the red dot's? I'd be highly amazed if they had a special section with cuban's available just because of the risk. I mean if they do that's sweet for the patron's that frequent there. Just never heard of such a thing. There are a couple of places that sell authentic cubans in Grand Cayman. LCDH and Puro Rey are a couple of them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly possible that I bought a fake but if I did, it was still good. Just a minute and I'll scan and post the band.

ejchron

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Hey ejchron, welcome..

It could be the scan, but the cohiba lettering to me is a tell of a possible fake.
The dots are a little big and the habana, cuba looks a little streched. Gold box around cohiba looks a little too thick.

It's very difficult to tell a fake, but "normally" real cubans bands are very well done. Other than that, look for the triple cap on top of the cigar.

But the only true tell tale is the taste.

Here is a good link to find legit retailers in the areas you may visit.
http://www.habanos.com/habanos.asp?i=ing

Here is a good primer on how to tell a fake
http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

or do a google for "fake cubans"

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Here is a couple of legit bands -

you can tell in the cohiba font and border, looks like a fake... but i could be wrong.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but i wouldn't want to see you go back to that resturant and pay for another.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
ejchron said:
The band is not the be all and end all that determines whether or not a cigar is a fake. However, that band is all wrong. If the band is fake, chances are the cigar is too. Please remember that cohibas are THE most counterfeited cigars on the planet.

There are some B&M's that have a "special" room with cuban cigars, but these are normally for their absolutely best and most trusted customers. There are a few by me that do.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
tubaman said:
There are some B&M's that have a "special" room with cuban cigars, but these are normally for their absolutely best and most trusted customers. There are a few by me that do.
Yeah and they charge a pretty good coin for them too if they have them and are willing to sell them to a stranger of the street which is highly unlucky. They're not willing to risk selling these typically to folks they don't know from adam!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That band looks fake. Which is a good thing because you can probably find them anywhere in Jamaica, Grand Caymen or Cozumel.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
the nub said:
That band looks fake. Which is a good thing because you can probably find them anywhere in Jamaica, Grand Caymen or Cozumel.
Maybe Jamaica and Cozumel, but Grand Cayman has a couple top notch habanos shops, and even in Cozumel there is a Habanos SA right on the main strip. But I guess if you are buying out of someone's closet or shoe boxes in any locale, then you'll get burned.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
texas_stang said:
well it looks like the real deal to me. as long as the band is straight and your picture is crooked.(top left is not straight)
To me, the gold foil is the wrong color, the font for Habana, Cuba is too thick, and the top row of squares is cut.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
texas_stang said:
well it looks like the real deal to me. as long as the band is straight and your picture is crooked.(top left is not straight)
And the gold trim is much too thick - I was burned big time earlier this year, and I have since educated myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest telltale is the spacing between the 'C' and 'O'. It is wider than normal. Not to mention that the font for 'C' looks incorrect and the bottom of the 'O' is not aligned with the other letters.