What's new

Collecting or smoking?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Which do you enjoy more, collecting cigars or smoking them?

It may have an obvious answer, but I bet cigars are closer to stamps to more people than you realize... maybe even yourself!

Does the collection satisfy you as much as the consumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'd have to say I'm 50/50, maybe even 60/40. I collect more so to age than smoke. Then again, it gets cold here in NY in the winter, I don't smoke in my house only my truck (year round but more so in the cold months) or outside in the warmer months. Plus I haven't had much (if any) time to hit the lounge that I have a locker at with a buddy that's an easy 45 min ride each way depending on time of the day.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Collecting with the intention of never smoking them or building a collection of cigars you will enjoy sometime in the future? I know I like having cigars that will likely improve with age so yea I like to collect cigars.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Collecting with the intention of never smoking them or building a collection of cigars you will enjoy sometime in the future? I know I like having cigars that will likely improve with age so yea I like to collect cigars.

I believe we all start collecting with intention to smoke, and give ourselves a hearty aged collection sometime in the future. But if you have thousands of cigars is your intention solely to consume all of them? Maybe it’s turning into a collecting hobby as well at that point

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Current stage in life and weather keep me smoking less than I am buying, so I’d say I’m enjoying the collecting aspect more at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon when I have a chance to smoke more than once or twice a week.

I do enjoy the searching, organizing and cataloging aspect of the hobby too.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Using the definition of collecting offered by @CigarGavin then in addition to some cigars I also collect exercise equipment, boats and, garden tools, :joyful:

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
It's funny this comes up now. I've been buying 2-3 boxes a month for the past 4 months or so. (Crazy amounts of OT) I was lucky enough to get in on the La Colmena unicos and Skyflowers for this year as well. Every time I reach for a cigar, it seems like I avoid smokes like the ones mentioned above because I dont want them all to disappear too fast. End up reaching for a $4 AJ Fenandez or the like.
So with all that said, i guess I'm enjoying the collecting aspect a lot more now. I do intend to burn every last one of them though

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
As I was nearing retirement and a much smaller amount of disposable income, I stocked up on cigars that I enjoy and knowing they would improve as they aged I would buy a box when available and priced right.

The last 3 years I have been retired and very rarely buy any cigars and just enjoy from my collection. I did splurge and grabbed a tin of La Colmena Unicos when they were available recently. But other than that I doubt I spend $200 a year on cigars since retirement.

I am on cruise control and feel confident I have enough cigars to last me the rest of my days and I hope I get to enjoy them all. Any that are left will go to my middle son who also loves premium cigars and jokingly refers to my cigars as "his cigars".

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I hear you.... but why collect things (like stamps) at all?

Sometimes it’s nice to have a collection of things, especially when you can also smoke them... eventually... or never, whatever works.

I have no idea why people just collect things and not use them. Any man-made product that is not used as it's artisan intended be it tobacco, alcohol, fly rods, and any number of other things is useless in my opinion. I am a consumer and the entire idea of just owning stuff does not fit into my lifestyle. To each his own. That's what makes this country great.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I’ve been collecting CCs over the past couple of years with the intention of aging them for the future consumption. After realizing that I probably have about 10 years of stock now I have slowed down but find myself grabbing another box when it seems like a “deal”.

With 3 coolers almost full now, I’ve come to realize that the collection aspect of the hobby has slowly overtaken my mindset and that I need to take a serious step back. You won’t see me in an episode of hoarders anytime soon but I’m taking a step back just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I’ve been collecting CCs over the past couple of years with the intention of aging them for the future consumption. After realizing that I probably have about 10 years of stock now I have slowed down but find myself grabbing another box when it seems like a “deal”.

With 3 coolers almost full now, I’ve come to realize that the collection aspect of the hobby has slowly overtaken my mindset and that I need to take a serious step back. You won’t see me in an episode of hoarders anytime soon but I’m taking a step back just to make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy
Leave it to @Rupe to get what I’m trying to convey. Exactly the type of situation I was referencing. I would wager that many more are in the same boat with your brother.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a few years of stock (probably enough to last the rest of my life) but they are all consumables. I've not purchased any for the last year or so.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I collect, but also smoke them. I haven't really reached the level of "buy a box to age and a box to smoke" yet, but I imagine I will eventually.