What's new

Confessions of a nOOb.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
In my small circle of acquaintances I am more obsessed with cigars than most. However, after reading through the past threads on this Forum, I am truly humbled by the knowledge and passion I’ve found here.

So, I’ll come clean and ask some advice. I have a small (30 count) humidor. I have, for years, tried to keep it at least ½ full. Problem has always been that I didn’t have room to actually keep any sticks for very long. The few ISOM sticks that have followed me back from various vacations have been placed in with my other cigars and have succumbed to the same arsonist bug that they have.

But now, after finding the previously unconsidered option of a Colemanador, I am liberated! :clap: No more fresh sticks for lack of options! :thumbsup:

I now have a 50qt Coleman cooler that will be washed and dried this weekend. I have always kept my old boxes, so I have a dozen or so available to store loose singles. I’ve ordered an lb of beads.

Now for the advice (although advice outside of this along with any comments or criticisms are always welcome): What non ISOM suggestions would you have for a nOOb to start a basic circulation with? Realizing taste is very subjective, I tend to like the medium to full sticks and the occational maduro. I’ve steered clear of certain brands that get a lot of favorable comments in the past and now realize that they were most likely too fresh for me.

I’m just curious to get a feel for the responses for you more seasoned heffers. :smokingco

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Back in the day I really enjoyed Arturo Fuente 858 Maduros...they are right around $100 for a box of 25 and were pretty enjoyable right away.

That was the first box of cigars I ever bought. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Go with the Fuente Line. I love them and the variety from maddies to nats is great.

The prices are not to expensive either. You can get a box for a good price and have some excellent cigars.

After them you can venture into the higher Fuentes as the Opus and Anejos.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Try to spring for a box of AF Hemmingways in whatever you can find. Christmas is the best time to find some of these. I personally really like ERDM Robusto Larga (or Robusto) with the Oscuro wrapper. I like the FdA Maximo, the Avo Domaine (various sizes), Partagas Black and Spanish Rosado, Punch Grand Cru and Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte. Just a few suggestions.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Excellent advice from the 2 previous brothers. That is pretty much how my path down the slippery slope started........go with Fuente, stick around here, and before you know it, you will have a cabinet humidoor filled to the brim and a credit card bill to mach!:crytears:

One other piece of advice......it is OK to call a Cuban Cigar what it is....either Cuban or Habanos. It might be just me, but ISOM isn't used around here very much.
Enjoy!:peace:

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Thanks for the suggestions. I've enjoyed the 858s and the hemis as well as the DCs. Never tried an Anejo. I'll be in Harrisburg in a week or so, good selection in a couple of shops there. Will definitely pick up a few sticks!

As far as the El Rays, I'll have to give them another try. They get pretty good reviews from what I can tell. I think I wasn't giving the ones I had a chance o so long ago....

I hear what you say 'bout escalating my humidor. I started another hobbie (ie obsession) earlier this year and last night the SO gave me "that look" when I opened up 20# more beans! I have a bet with myself as to how long before the 50 qt coolerdor won't be big enough!

Thanks for the work on cuban and habanos. Got called on it on another site, just didn't want to offend.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I recommend the Helix maduro if you like full flavor but not the high price. They have a natural sweetness to them too that I really like. The natural Helix is way too mild even for me, but their maduro is yummy! The Flor de Oliva is another of my favorites and their maduro is good too. Their cameroon is awesome though!

:)

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
As the occasional really great cigar, I would spring for some AVO Domaine #50's, but that's just me, I like the full bodied taste. I forget what the MSRP is on those...The Hemmi's are a great purchase right now...just like Moglman said.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Personally I always went for the CAO and Torano line before I became obsessed about Habanos. Between the two lines, there were enough smokes to keep me busy. :thumbsup:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you MUST buy boxes of Non Cuban cigars, I would reccomend Avo, especially the Signature line, most Fuente and for a great value, Padron Thousand series MADURO.

Being a cigar snob however, I would really reccomend you make the plunge to buy cuban cigars. It's worth it imho, because there are so many good smokes out there that can be had for very reasonable prices. But you should smoke what you like and like what you smoke!

Kevin

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Great input guys! I've picked up a few Cubans here and there, but my smoking habits didn't really lend themselves to keeping them very long at all. I ordered a few from a BC site a couple of years ago and really enjoyed having them over the holidays.

Now that I'm set up for larger/longer/safer storage, I certainly love to add habanos into my rotation! I’ll probably read through more posts here and on a couple of other sites to short list the respectable sources before I buy any. I tend to be a bit suspicious after finding 25% of my last vacation purchases to be knockoffs…. Figure that if I’m not savvy enough to spot ‘em, I must not be savvy enough to smoke ‘em.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Ok, so you put a bug in my ear and I've spent the past day or so looking at Habanos (amazing what you can find when you just LOOK). Thanks Kevin. I can tell that I've gotten in with some Very Evil Individuals here. :devilhead Left to my own devices, I naturally tend to go a little overboard. But with help......... :crosseyed. So, I've got 4 boxes of NC sticks on their way in the next couple of days and I've justified another purchase (Honey, Kevin says I HAVE to include Cubans in my humidor! Come on Baby! All the other guys have them!...... :hanghead: :peckkiss:.... well, not quite, but you get the point..).

So, I have a question for all of you. Given that I enjoy a Toro or Robusto size and a medium to full flavor... what might you suggest? Of the habanos I HAVE tried, I rated the Bolivar the highest.... :dunno: