What's new

Considering a Cigar/Wine Cooler

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hello all, and hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas and holiday time.

I came into a little spending dough (ho ho ho!) and have been considering a Wineador. I would love to hear all of your thoughts on a few questions I have. I love detail, and respect the opinions of my avid cigar-loving brethren.
NewAir website: https://www.newair.com/products/newair-250-count-electric-cigar-humidor-wineador
On Amazon:
First, background. At the moment, I have around 150 non-Cubans in a humidor, keeping at about 66-68%. I also have around 75 Habanos in a second humi, kept at around 63-64%. I only smoke about twice a week, and I age my cigars for a long time. Some of these have been resting for over two years. I have considered combining all into a humi at 67% or so, and just dry-boxing Habanos before smoking them. Also, I like my T52's and Le Bijou's at a lower RH. My Padrons I prefer just a bit higher, 68%. The rest of my NC's could go either way but I'm picky about those three. Not picky for safe of being difficult, I just know how I like 'em. So, a few questions for you well-informed and experienced folks:

1. One of my biggest concerns is plastic smell in a new Wineador. Tips on cleaning, de-odorizing? Maybe I shouldn't let this fear stand in the way?

2. We all know that a humidor fits far fewer cigars than described, typically. My "300-count" humidor can hold no more than the 150 or so NC's I have in it. Average of about 52 ring gauge. My "100-count humidor" easily holds my 75 delightful Bolivars and Montecristos. There are a handful of BBF and Monte #2's, but the rest are petite coronas and #4's.
From the looks of this "250-count" wineador, I might be able to stack three sticks high on the shelves, maybe only two high on the upper shelf and in the drawer? Judging from the dimensions, it seems deep enough that I could possibly store 2 cigars head-to-foot in depth, and maybe 10-12 cigars across each shelf. That actually comes pretty darn close to 250, maybe 225. I think it'd be enough for my current collection of CC and NC, and I DON'T NEED ANYMORE (ha!) so I don't anticipate expanding anytime soon. If I buy more, I'll smoke more to make room! Also I would be storing them in cedar trays on top of each shelf, so that the bottom row doesn't "roll out" whenever I pull out a shelf.

3. I just use Boveda packs to humidify. Mostly in those fancy-schmancy cedar Boveda holders, which I could possibly adhere to the undersides of each shelf in the wineador. This sound like it would work in a wineador for consistent, even RH? I don't rely on any hygrometer on any humidor, so I'm not at all concerned about the quality of the NewAir hygro. I have a mix of Boveda butlers and Govee digital hygros for monitoring.

4. Does a thermoelectric cooler produce any kind of extra humidity, any moisture at all? Do I need to consider any parts that might drip water or condensation, inside or outside of the box? Sorry, I'm just not familiar with this type of equipment.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I appreciate your experiences, whether with this specific wineador or ANY wineador, from you good people over any Amazon review or website FAQ. I thank you greatly for any input, and hope you all have a great and exciting new year!

Jackson

Last edited:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Jackson!

I was also considering the NewAir. Ended up getting this one instead for no real reason other than it was readily available and had decent reviews

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Audew-Cigar-Cooler-Humidor-Spanish-Cedar-Wood-300-Capacity-Christmas-Gift-Cigar-Gifts-for-Men-Cigar-Box-Case/443261189

Only had it a couple months, so can't vouch for anything relating to longevity. But, it has completely changed my cigar game. No more babysitting tupperdors in my wine fridge. I set it to 65 degrees and throw four of the huge 65% Bovedas in there. By God, all four hygrometers in there read a constant 64-66 degrees and 67% RH. I no longer have to drybox anything. It's a game changer and I highly recommend it.

It's thermoelectric and there are ZERO temperature/RH fluctuations like I had when I used tups in the compressor wine fridge. A couple peeps on here mentioned that thermoelectrics don't last as long as compressors and may well crap out after a few years, so be aware. I have no problem if this thing gives me 3-5 years of use, as the value of the cigars inside far surpasses the 250 I paid for it. Seriously...using tupperdors SUCKED and I was constantly dealing with huge swings in RH and temperature.

https://www.botl.org/threads/wineador-ideas-suggestions.97383/post-2239439

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey Jackson!

I was also considering the NewAir. Ended up getting this one instead for no real reason other than it was readily available and had decent reviews

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Audew-Cigar-Cooler-Humidor-Spanish-Cedar-Wood-300-Capacity-Christmas-Gift-Cigar-Gifts-for-Men-Cigar-Box-Case/443261189

Only had it a couple months, so can't vouch for anything relating to longevity. But, it has completely changed my cigar game. No more babysitting tupperdors in my wine fridge. I set it to 65 degrees and throw four of the huge 65% Bovedas in there. By God, all four hygrometers in there read a constant 64-66 degrees and 67% RH. I no longer have to drybox anything. It's a game changer and I highly recommend it.

It's thermoelectric and there are ZERO temperature/RH fluctuations like I had when I used tups in the compressor wine fridge. A couple peeps on here mentioned that thermoelectrics don't last as long as compressors and may well crap out after a few years, so be aware. I have no problem if this thing gives me 3-5 years of use, as the value of the cigars inside far surpasses the 250 I paid for it. Seriously...using tupperdors SUCKED and I was constantly dealing with huge swings in RH and temperature.

https://www.botl.org/threads/wineador-ideas-suggestions.97383/post-2239439
Thanks! I saw the Audew too, and another brand called Schmecke. Now there are too many to choose from and research, so my decision has become even more complex. Thanks for the input on that unit! Sounds like I need to consider it.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contrary to my frriend Texican I love tupperdors in a compressor fridge. If you are trying to store large numbers of cigars I would recommed going that direction but since you are looking at a 250 your collection hasn't goten out of hand yet. I have two full sized refrigerators and a larger 400? count NewAir

1. One of my biggest concerns is plastic smell in a new Wineador. Tips on cleaning, de-odorizing? Maybe I shouldn't let this fear stand in the way? Clean well with distilled water then spray down with a baking soda and distilled water solution. May do this a couple of time but once you get it stabiled with the shelves and cigar boxes there will be no plastic smell. Distilled water only on any wood.

2. when it comes to count the industry sizes them using petite coronas , without boxes. If you smolke all Toros then you should figure about half the number.

3. I lay my Bovedas directly on the shelf or on cugar spills directly on top of the cigars. Never had one leak but....

4. I had a problem with condensation forming to hte cold plate. This problem was really evident while stabilizing the unit. I solved the condensation issue by installing an extra "slot fan" to circulate air in the unit and blow across the cold plate. Condensation problem solved and less stratification of humidity and temps inside the unit. I also place a "athletic cooling rag" in the bottom of the unit by the drain to absord any extra moisture and allow to evaporate back into the interior of the unit. I haven't had a issue with pooling moisture since everything has stabilized and the unit is full of cigars.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have the audew. I keep it inside. I don’t like the cooling element that much. I keep mine unplugged. In the super hot summer I keep it plugged in. Tupperware inside a real fridge seems ideal.

I really like the audew. I just don’t like the cooling elements in the Winador units in general.

that said I do like mine. Again I only dislike the cooling when it’s not necessary. I’d buy another one. They go on sale pretty regular. Mines completely overflowing.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
image.jpgI made those little trays in there with some boxes that fit well. Some full boxes on the bottom. 2 large bovedas have been in there over a year. Humidity stays well in check.

when I run the unit I notice the top or bottom fluctuate in humidity. Since it’s 71 degrees inside mainly year round I don’t see a heck of a lot of need to run it.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I might’ve talked myself out of a cooling humidor. The idea of condensation, dripping, etc, is terrifying. So much invested in my sweet babies. Maybe I’m being paranoid.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you go without the additional fans you may have a condendsation p;roblem. The condensation runs down the back of the unit toward the drain. Never lost a cigar,

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If you go without the additional fans you may have a condendsation p;roblem. The condensation runs down the back of the unit toward the drain. Never lost a cigar,
Sorry for the ignorant question here, but do you mean down the back of the outside, or the back inside wall? If you have cigars head-to-foot, and some very near the back wall, could they potentially be dripped on?
Seriously, thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little more easy with the idea of getting one.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I personally have never had condensation in mine. None ever. But for me the top will be more humid than the bottom. Only when I let the unit run when it’s not necessary. The audew cools all the time. It doesn’t seem to work in an on off cycle. Just on.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Also, gotta wonder. If there is a condensation hole, going to a drain, oesn’t that mean that the humidor is not airtight? And yet moisture is still maintained consistently? Does the company provide some sort of plug for the hole?
Jackson

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The shelves are cut to allow an airspace against the back wall inside the unit. In mine the plastic is molded to route "any" condensation down the back wall and to the drain.

Remember where you live will have a great impact on how your humidification systems work. I live in SE Louisiana and we have a problem keeping tjhings dry, If you live in the desert your problem will be keeping things wet. How you load your unit affects the amount of humidication in the unit. If you load a bunch of cigars ROTT your levels will usually rise because cigars are usually shipped wet.

Bovedas are great but they are slow so short term swings when you make changes are common

There are lots of threads on the forum where we discuss how to cure, and alter over the counter cigar coolers. I ran a wire through the drain hole to power a couple of circulation fans then sealed the drain to make the unit more airtight

Once they get dialed in the only maintenance is recharging your humidification system.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
The shelves are cut to allow an airspace against the back wall inside the unit. In mine the plastic is molded to route "any" condensation down the back wall and to the drain.

Remember where you live will have a great impact on how your humidification systems work. I live in SE Louisiana and we have a problem keeping tjhings dry, If you live in the desert your problem will be keeping things wet. How you load your unit affects the amount of humidication in the unit. If you load a bunch of cigars ROTT your levels will usually rise because cigars are usually shipped wet.

Bovedas are great but they are slow so short term swings when you make changes are common

There are lots of threads on the forum where we discuss how to cure, and alter over the counter cigar coolers. I ran a wire through the drain hole to power a couple of circulation fans then sealed the drain to make the unit more airtight

Once they get dialed in the only maintenance is recharging your humidification system.
Usually I only add one or two sticks if they’re ROTT. If it’s an order I’ve received, or more than 5 sticks, they go in a dedicated drawer I have to calm down a bit before coming into the family compound.
I’ve seen many humidors with a back port to use electronic equipment, and I’m always leary of them. I would be looking for a cap, plug, or sealant right away. So, do most cigar coolers have such a port in the back?