What's new

Cooler storage. Loose or in boxes?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but how do you store your sticks in your coolerdors? Loose or in their original boxes. I was looking at the space in mine the other day and am considering getting several of those cedar trays to stack inside. There is quite a bit of wasted space using the original boxes.

Of course, I'd have to OCD out on the situation and blank band each stick with the date/code info................

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
If I have several I keep them in the original boxes...If I am down to just a few, I may combine them in a single box, with boxcodes noted.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I do both. I keep mine in the boxes until they get down to just a few then I transfer the singles to cedar trays. Between my two coolers I think I have 6 or 7 of the trays.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I have some trays, some fulle boxes, and got some empty boxes from my B&M for singles.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I also keep them in boxes until there is a few left. I have some churchill boxes that I've taken the top off and use them as trays. I took the top off because I was getting tired of looking though boxes of singles. Now I just open my cooler and they are right there on top so I can see them.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Seamus said:
I also keep them in boxes until there is a few left. I have some churchill boxes that I've taken the top off and use them as trays. I took the top off because I was getting tired of looking though boxes of singles. Now I just open my cooler and they are right there on top so I can see them.
I should do that. Its very annoying to have to open multiple boxes just to see what you actually have.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Stupid newbie question, but why care about date/box codes ??? I understand somewhat that one year may be better than another, but what are chances of getting same next quality next time even in the same year? Tracking seems VERY tediuos as well. I guess I don't smoke enough at this time to worry, cause I have two-three years worth of smokes in inventory. I simple have sheets of paper and note much as possible and review from time to time so not to buy what I do not like.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I started to place lables on whole boxes and then blank bands on the loose singles so that I know how old the sticks are. I'm trying to get a stash of aged sticks going (NC and CC)

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Seamus said:
I also do it this way. Cheaper than buying trays.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Headbanger said:
Stupid newbie question, but why care about date/box codes ???
Well this has become a loaded question lately!

If I know a particular boxcode of any given cigar is really good, I may try to find that particular boxcode again to purchase more. This obviously won't guarantee the same quality. Could be worse, could be better. But at least I have a reference point to go by when making decisions.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
So you get a box code you like. Then you call who to order box code X again? Do you call online vendors or e-mail them? B&M folks? Just say hay, I bought box X from you two months ago, got anymore box X? For Cubans only? Seems hard to me, that's why I am just a newb still learning. So far, I simply save all my receipts and when I smoke a stick, I write my own review. I don't like, I don't buy againn. I like, I just buy again. Call me simple at this stage.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Headbanger said:
So you get a box code you like. Then you call who to order box code X again? Do you call online vendors or e-mail them? B&M folks? Just say hay, I bought box X from you two months ago, got anymore box X? For Cubans only? Seems hard to me, that's why I am just a newb still learning. So far, I simply save all my receipts and when I smoke a stick, I write my own review. I don't like, I don't buy againn. I like, I just buy again. Call me simple at this stage.
At the risk of sounding like a cigar snob, I really only smoke cuban cigars now. And if I remember correctly, there really arent boxcodes on non cuban cigars. I may be wrong about that and I'm sure someone will correct me if need be. At any rate, I sometimes call, but mostly email vendors with questions about their stock. This is why it is important to know as much as possible about your vendor and have complete trust in them.

It may seem hard to you because it sounds like you are buying mostly at your local brick and mortar. I may be wrong with that, but when dealing with overseas vendors, this is really the only way we can do this. It's also a good idea to try several of a particular cigar before making a judgement as to whether you like a cigar or not. A few times I've had a cigar for the first time that didn't do anything for me, and after trying a few others I found that I like them, I just got a dud. It happens.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Got ya and thanks tubaman. I have only NC so far and am ITCHING to try a true Cuban. But going at this alone so far and dealing with an oversea firm is a little scary. Trust, pricing, and ignorance etc is holding me back thus far. So I will stick around here and make freinds. Learn from those friends. Patiently waiting for a sponsor thru the newbie thread also.

I have bought from a few local B&M and a few very reputible online shops and have a very big supply of sticks for a newbie (think over 200). Mostly I have bought 5 packs, samplers, and singles. I did win thru auction two boxes of sticks with decent customer ratings, not even opened the boxes yet.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
If you want any advice on the banding and labeling feel free to ask. :blush:
Ok Wasch. Explain why and when you band and label. This is your first question.

Second, how do you know how old a stick is? Do you ask the vendor when they were made or do you date from time of purchase, etc?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I band when I get a new cigar or box. I do this so I know how old and where I got a cigar or box from.

Cuban boxes come with box codes. They will tell you the age of the cigar which vendors will give you.