What's new

Cooler weather - getting back into pipes

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Well as the cooler fall weather is now in full swing, I find myself leaning toward shorter smokes. For me, pipes are the ultimate short ( and economical ) smoke. Depending on the size of your pipe and how much tobacco you use, the smoke can last 5 minutes or more than an hour. Plus, just as cigars get better with age, most pipe tobacco blends will improve over time.

I just finished a nice bowl of GL Pease Telegraph Hill. The tin date is 06/16/2005 so this Virginia / Perique blend has had a chance to smooth out during it's 16 month nap. The Virginias have a nice core of cedary, slightly tangy and sweet flavors while the Perique adds some cinnamon and anise spiciness. This is a solid medium bodied blend that should continue to improve.

I've never been a huge fan of VA / Perique blends, but Greg really hooked me with this one.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Ted, any suggestions on care or cleaning of pipes after not smoking them for 6-8 months? I was just thinking of trying to start my attempts of learning to smoke a pipe again as well since the weather was getting cooler, and can't find any of my pipe info links anymore.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I guess it depends. If your pipes are mostly clean already, I'd suggest just taking a bit of pipe sweetener (I use Bacardi 151 which cleans + sweetens) and swab out the bowl, shank and stem. Wipe off the outside with some Murphy's Oil Soap and give 'em a nice buff with a dry cotton rag. Then they should be ready to go.

If your stems are loose - remove them and use a bit of beeswax on the tenon. After smoking a couple of times they will tighten right up.

If you look at the top "Sticky" posts in this forum, there are lots of links to re-add to your favorites list.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Tagging this one. Good information on the beeswax, Ted. I had not heard that one. Grain alcohol works nicely for cleaning. I have a bit of the "non commercial" variety; compliments of friends in the Appalachians. Stay away from matches though. . .:)

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
I enjoy the pipe as well, I buy this dark cavendish called Norman Knight and mix it with a lighter tobacco, the sweet smell and taste is great on a good fall evening.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Thanks for the thread Ted. I appreciate the beeswax hint. I've found a few pipes in my Dad's box that have loose stems and I'll be trying this. I'm likin' the FMATP enough that I bought a couple of tins. Really taking to the pipe lately. I look forward to future threads in this forum.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Maybe I'll pick up the pipe this winter....def leaves the car smelling nicer