What's new

Coolerdor in progress

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
OK... I found a suitable cooler on craiglist for $5 and did the full clean this weekend. There are no apperant smells so I feel good to move on with the cedar. I know I should be using spanish cedar, but I have to drive an hour to find it. I've seen some online that aren't lined at all. Do you have to line a coolerdor to make it worth while? I had an idea. Can I line it with the topas and bottoms of cigar boxes? Are they all made of spanish cedar? I figure if the cigars come in the box, then it will work as a lining. It would also decorates the cooler with some cigar art. What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
If you keep your cigars in their original wood boxes, there is no need to line the inside of the cooler.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
If you keep your cigars in their original wood boxes, there is no need to line the inside of the cooler.
\]
So if I do line it, it is for asthetic purposes only? I'm ok with that. The B&M I use said they would donate several cool boxes for the purpose. I'll post pics once I get it finished.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
OK... I found a suitable cooler on craiglist for $5 and did the full clean this weekend. There are no apperant smells so I feel good to move on with the cedar. I know I should be using spanish cedar, but I have to drive an hour to find it. I've seen some online that aren't lined at all. Do you have to line a coolerdor to make it worth while? I had an idea. Can I line it with the topas and bottoms of cigar boxes? Are they all made of spanish cedar? I figure if the cigars come in the box, then it will work as a lining. It would also decorates the cooler with some cigar art. What do you guys think?
Naw. What Ted said. Just use boxes. You can use the sheets you get with some boxes on the sides until the humidity stablizes but the boxes will be just fine. Remember if you use donated boxes that have not been humidified to season them in your cooler just like a new humidor. Other wise, nice cigars in a dry closed box = dry cigars.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
When I first started, I used empty boxes to take up space. The Spanish cedar adds to the flavor of the cigars, helps keep mold away, and helps regulate the RH as well. No real need to line with the cedar unless maybe you have tons of singles stored in Tupperware or plastic containers. If space becomes an issue, you can still break down the tops and bottoms of boxes for the purpose you mentioned. Cabs of Spanish cedar are the best as they have more cedar content.

Good luck and happy cigar collecting. :thumbsup:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
There's no need to line it, but if it makes you feel better and gives you more pride then go for it bro :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw. What Ted said. Just use boxes. You can use the sheets you get with some boxes on the sides until the humidity stablizes but the boxes will be just fine. Remember if you use donated boxes that have not been humidified to season them in your cooler just like a new humidor. Other wise, nice cigars in a dry closed box = dry cigars.
So lets say I have a box of cigars that come nicely packaged in a decorative box that was wrapped in celo. Are these sticks properly humidified from the factory then boxed and sealed up to ensure that they stay that way. This particular one I just unwrapped and threw it in the cooler to get nice and happy. I don't need to do anything special to it do I?

Eric J.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Eric - Generally speaking, the cigars should be fine when you receive from your retailer. Tossing the box in your cooler should be all that is needed. Of course this is dependent on which side of the cigar cello off / on debate you are on ...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
So lets say I have a box of cigars that come nicely packaged in a decorative box that was wrapped in celo. Are these sticks properly humidified from the factory then boxed and sealed up to ensure that they stay that way. This particular one I just unwrapped and threw it in the cooler to get nice and happy. I don't need to do anything special to it do I?

Eric J.
Should be fine. My concern is an old box that has been sitting around drying out that is on an unhumified shelf at a B&M or someone's garage. The cedar will draw moisture. If you get a donated or buy an empty box from someone, humidify it first.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Should be fine. My concern is an old box that has been sitting around drying out that is on an unhumified shelf at a B&M or someone's garage. The cedar will draw moisture. If you get a donated or buy an empty box from someone, humidify it first.
Yeah, I had that in mind. I have plenty of time to season my patchwork lining. As I have Zero boxes of smokes to put in it. I figured before I buy one and have it shipped I may as well have a place to put em first.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dpricenator, all good advice so far. Keep in mind this is your project, so it should suit only you. A gigantic cooler that you can place boxes in is great, but I can't convince the wife that I need a 120 qt cooler laying around. I also like to see my smokes, because what I choose at any given time doesn't follow a schedule, and I don't feel like sifting through a bunch of boxes. Aging can be great for certain smokes, and not so with others. Smoke what suits you at a given time, and follow your impressions. Another consideration is humidity. I keep my NC's at 70, and by CC's at 65. Again, just personal preference.

My coolidor has only NC's, and is a 54 quart model. I bought spanish cedar planks that I milled down to 1/2 inch sheets (yeah, overkill big time). I made two tapered trays, each is 6 inches deep, that fit into the coolidor perfectly ( it helped to have a bud that makes furniture). I lift up the top tray, and I can see all my sticks. I have beads in the lid, and the bottom of the coolidor (both trays have slat bottoms). The humidity is kept perfect, and the temperature swings are moderated (hey, it's a cooler).

That's mine and it works great (hope the picture comes through). Good luck with yours.

Attachments