What's new

Coolidor Question

iam6884

Layne
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hi I'm lam6884, and I'm a yetiholic. Now that I've admitted my weakness, I have decided that one of my 65 quart yetis needs to become my next coolidor. I've already maxed out a couple of humidors and a 20Q yeti so it's time to give myself some room to grow. My question is if the seal of a cooler like this is too much. I have a small PC fan to put inside to keep air flowing but do I need to slightly open the drain plug go allow fresh are in?

akpreacherplayz

The Preacher
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hi I'm lam6884, and I'm a yetiholic. Now that I've admitted my weakness, I have decided that one of my 65 quart yetis needs to become my next coolidor. I've already maxed out a couple of humidors and a 20Q yeti so it's time to give myself some room to grow. My question is if the seal of a cooler like this is too much. I have a small PC fan to put inside to keep air flowing but do I need to slightly open the drain plug go allow fresh are in?
I think that if you open it up every once in awhile it would be fine. You might want to post a picture and ask our resident humidor expert @Opie about it.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I think that if you open it up every once in awhile it would be fine. You might want to post a picture and ask our resident humidor expert @Opie about it.

Sent from Area 51 using telepathy
I agree. You should get plenty of fresh air in there by just opening it once and a while to grab sticks. I don’t think the circulation fan is even needed personally. @akpreacherplayz is right though, without seeing a pic of the inside we really can’t answer the question properly.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I would think cracking the plug will be hell on keeping the RH steady. From what I have read some "burp" their coolers once or twice a month. I have seen lots of coolers used but never a Yeti. Curious if its easier to tetris boxes in it since its more squareish on the inside.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
There should be enough free airspace inside the not worry about off gassing very much.. the yeti isn't quite air tight anyways.. but a weekly/monthly open to allow some air exchange couldn't hurt. Although, I do have to say, a yeti for a coolerdor is a bit much, but will prob be bad ass.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you use your storage only to "rest" your cigars i.e. come to proper humidity you probably don't, especially if you have a reliable humidification system Maybe under three months. If you use the storage to "age" cigars the ammonia and other distasteful compounds outgassed during storage should be removed. Do you ever open your long term stuff?

Just curios doesn't everyone crack open the box when aging their Cubans or do you just leave them sealed tight?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you use the storage to "age" cigars the ammonia and other distasteful compounds outgassed during storage should be removed.
Then why do so many FOGs, who have been doing this for decades, vacuum seal or Saran Wrap their boxes precisely to keep those compounds from gassing off? Are they all doing it wrong?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
#1: don’t use a 300 dollar plus cooler to age cigars. Go to Target and buy these.

#2 No need to open full boxes after initial inspection. Some of mine have been sleeping 7 years. After initial inspection I open to smoke years later.

#3 Very little or no air flow is needed in any humidor for long term storage.

#4 keep humidity at 65RH temp at 65rh in a long term storage tote and then there is no need for annual inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I store in ziplocks , and there is a little air in each, and I check on things a few times a year.
No problems at all.
I have stored boxes in shrink wrap for up to 8 years, and not opened them.
The cigars seemed not to have diminished at all.
Coolidors work well, a little fresh air does not matter if your sticks are in boxes.
as long as the RH stays within your target range, you can relax.