What's new

Cooling closet I store my humidotrs in?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store many humidors in a 10' x 6' x 4' closet and I would like to weather seal it (easy enough) but what are your suggestions on cooling it? I live in AZ and keeping my home at 70 F 24/7 would take my entire paycheck. Are there simple closet ac's or similar devices? Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of that but they're not large enough un less a buy a really large one. I was thnkng along the lines of a portable ac unit.
Someoe suggested I take the cooling unit out of a thermoelectric 12 volt cooler and use that but I'm not sure that will be sufficiant for the space.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Sounds like this would be an expensive project. Maybe getting in touch with a cooling company?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
MichiganM said:
If you need something that big then I would definitely recommend a large cooled humidor.
They don't make them that big. He is talking about cooling a closet that is in your bedroom. Very large in size.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are portable air conditioners that run around $500 at places like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. However, you would then have to run the vent hose to the outside. I don't know if that would be an obstacle for you...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Try here, and I agree. Venting will be the problem. You would have to punch a hole to the outside wall to get it vented, otherwise it will fight itself to cool. Humidification will be the other problem. You might be better off putting a small widow AC in the outside wall. Would be a bigger hole, but looks like you would have to put a hole anyway for the portable unit.

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/WA1220H.html

How about this? If this closet is in one room of the house you don't use or can close the door to, put a window unit in that room. Close the door to that room and cool just that room, leave closet door open and voila! Cooled closet. There are nice ones out there with digital displays and auto sets for around $300.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think you have come up with the exact solution. I'm keeping them in the humidors but I just need to keep the space cool. I appreciate it!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Lance said:
Thanks I think you have come up with the exact solution. I'm keeping them in the humidors but I just need to keep the space cool. I appreciate it!
No problem. As you can see by the under the steps convertion, I'm all about cost effective solutions. Enjoy and welcome aboard.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
caudio51 said:
They don't make them that big. He is talking about cooling a closet that is in your bedroom. Very large in size.
They come pretty close. Vinotemp's in particular are comparable. I was way off though, as the other idea is MUCH more cost effective. 10x6x4 is stretching it, but I was assuming his whole closet isn't filled with cigars top to bottom.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
MichiganM said:
They come pretty close. Vinotemp's in particular are comparable. I was way off though, as the other idea is MUCH more cost effective. 10x6x4 is stretching it, but I was assuming his whole closet isn't filled with cigars top to bottom.
No shit. Got a link? I'd love to get a gander

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
www.vinotemp.com

The largest one they have isn't in production anymore. Harris has the one I'm thinking of and he has one of the largest collections I've ever heard of. I think Bob at Aristocrat makes larger than what they currently have. You can find an old vino that's huuuuge. Aristocrat has cooled humi's that can house just about the largest collections around. The one that I'm thinking of is like 52" wide x 74" high x 26.5" deep. That's about as big as a closet. Nobody I know of needs more than that.