What's new

Coping with higher temperature

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am setting up a small coolerdor for a few boxes. The issue is my house AC keeps things dry, but 75 degrees. The temperature makes me worry about beetles. One thought is to freeze all new cigars for a few days to eliminate the risk. But I am not sure if that will kill all the eggs anyway.

Lower AC is not a possibility, electricity is too expensive here and my wife would complain of the colder temps anyway (we have central AC).

A wine cooler setup is more than I want to get into at this point. Do you think the cigars will be doomed, even if I quarantine in the freezer?

We do not have a basement.

Thanks for any advice.

Marcus

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have the same issue, but sorry to say that I have yet to find a good solution. Most likely your cigars are not doomed, you just need to keep an eye on them. I personally would recommend the wine cooler, which seems to be the most cost effective way to keep the temp. down. I know this is not what you want to hear, but that is my experience.

One way to combat the temp. is to put an ice pack in the humidor, but it will need to be replaced probably everyday and you will need to make sure it does not condensate on your cigars.

AndrewDill

San Diegan
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I kept a few water bottles that were filled 3/4 with water in the freezer.

I would just cycle them out when they melted. The only problem is that the humidity in your cooler will pretty much be out of control, since they just suck up humidity from the air.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If a possible beetle outbreak worry you, freezing might be the best option. Just remember air tight baggie and start in the fridge to chill first, then hit the freezer for about a week as more household freezers are not cold enough to kill the eggs etc.. Then back to the fridge for a couple days to unfreeze before returning to the coolidor. I have not done this, but I believe that covers most things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Another option that just dawned on me as I sit at my desk is to keep most of them in my office at work in the coolerdor, and a smaller tupperdor at home with a few cigars. Problem is it will be tempting to smoke them during the day.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt... but it would be frowned upon at work. Maybe I'll drive down to the beach at lunch...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Thanks guys. Another option that just dawned on me as I sit at my desk is to keep most of them in my office at work in the coolerdor, and a smaller tupperdor at home with a few cigars. Problem is it will be tempting to smoke them during the day.
I considered the office for my big cooledors and keep a small 200 count humi there for the occasional day cigar. One day I checked the max reading on my temp and saw 82 degrees. They turn the air off on the weekends. Keep that in mind. Now I take the hum home on Fridays.

I have never had a issue at 75 and below. I just keep the humidity down in the 65% range.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
so if the temp is getting warmer, then I need less humidity? My desk humi is probaly getting warm on the weekends. it is small, so I'm not that worried about it. But my house gets to 80 some days, and My collerdor is going to be in my closet. do I need to by the 65&#37; beads or is ther something better I should use?