What's new

Could it be?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Since my foray into the “darkside” of cigars, I’ve become acutely aware of the flavor of ammonia. Mainly because most of my purchases have been of boxes produced less than a year ago.

Anyhow, I seem to notice a distinct ammonia flavor in some of my latest pipe tobacco purchases as well. Has anyone else noticed this? And can the use of “Super Fast Aging” take care of it until my stash gets some age on it?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Essentially, it is heating the tobacco to cause the chemical reactions that take place during the aging process to accelerate. One method is to place a few ounces of tobacco in an old tin or small coffee can and set it on your dashboard for about 30 min. on a hot day. Other methods are to place a tin or two in a crockpot set at 150 degrees. There is also the "220 for 220" method, where you put an unopened tin in a 220 degree oven for 2hrs 20 mins (this one is a bit iffy since the tin could "pop").

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I suspect that it could aid in the release of some of the more harsh chemicals found in fresher tobacco, but most likely would never be seen as a subsitute for the actual aging of quality tobacco. It could help in enjoying fresher tobacco until the rest has been setting for awhile.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
While I would not describe it as ammonia, I do notice something similiar in young Virginia blends. A sharp and acidic aroma with the flavor being on the tart side.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
We are probably describing the same sensation. I exhale a good amount of smoke through my nose and that's where I detect it. Have you ever tried to speed up the aging process for small quantities?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Yes. I used the dashboard method vs the oven method. I put a couple tins of McCranies Red Ribbon (same as McClelland #5100), on the dahboard of my car during a few summer days. I then let them sit for a month. The result was a darker tobacco with much of the tartness gone. It was nowhere as sweet as tobacco that had been aged nornally, but definately improved.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Thanks Ted, now that the weather has turned cooler, I doubt if I could make the "dashboard method" work very well. You indicated that you hadn't used the oven method. I figure that the dashboard reaches about 150 degrees and the procedure is to let it set on the dash for about 30 min or so. Wonder if I would get similar results in a 150 degree oven for about 30 to 45 min.....

Anyone ever try this?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks Ted, now that the weather has turned cooler, I doubt if I could make the "dashboard method" work very well. You indicated that you hadn't used the oven method. I figure that the dashboard reaches about 150 degrees and the procedure is to let it set on the dash for about 30 min or so. Wonder if I would get similar results in a 150 degree oven for about 30 to 45 min.....

Anyone ever try this?
I do it with 5100 all the time. I put it in a mason jar. I take the center of the lid out and replace it with tin foil, so that nothing explodes and so that the rubber seal doesn't melt. I might give the tobacco a little spray with some distilled water, depending on how dry it is. I usually go 30-60 minutes at 150-200.

You're right that it is not the same as aging, but it does smooth it out, and bring out some of the toastier flavors.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah, I edited the post becasue I forgot the temp. 150-200 works for me. It just depends on how stoved you want it. 150 for 30 minutes should take the edge off without changing it too drastically. If not, you can always stick it back in.