What's new

Couple of quick questions

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
1st should I remove the heavy heat sealed plastic bag before going through the beetle protocol i.e. is it absolutely advisable to inspect the new cigars prior to freezing

2nd the Partagas box has a stamp GEO(D) DIC 14 is this the box date code and if so is it Dec 14?
the Juan Lopez has a stamp UTL Jun 17 I'm assuming that is June 2017

Thanks

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
the Partagas box has a stamp GEO(D) DIC 14 is this the box date code and if so is it Dec 14?
the Juan Lopez has a stamp UTL Jun 17 I'm assuming that is June 2017
Correct - the first 3 letters are known as the Factory Code, as in, which Factory made the cigars. There is a method to decoding which factory code leads to which Factory but I am not familiar with that. I know there are many on BOTL who can help with this though.

The next 3 letters with 2 numbers is your date. The date is using the Spanish alphabet so you have the following:

English Month = Spanish Month = Month Code
January = Enero = ENE
February = Febrero = FEB
March = Marzo = MAR
April = Abril = ABR
May = Mayo = MAY
June = Junio = JUN
July = Julio = JUL
August = Agosto = AGO
September = Septiembre = SEP
October = Octubre = OCT
November = Noviembre = NOV
December = Diciembre = DIC

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Thanks, any advice on inspection?
I assume that there are many different methods to this but I myself remove the cigars from the box they came in and put them in a ziplock back. I've never thought about just putting the whole box into the freezer before. Again, I'm sure others will weigh in here and who knows, maybe I've been doing it wrong myself. haha

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm putting these away for 5+yrs so I wasn't going to remove them from the box. Just open and inspect after freezing. If I keep them in that heavy duty plastic heat sealed bag they used then I'm hoping I don't need to zip lock them?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm putting these away for 5+yrs so I wasn't going to remove them from the box. Just open and inspect after freezing. If I keep them in that heavy duty plastic heat sealed bag they used then I'm hoping I don't need to zip lock them?
Correct. No need for the Ziploc. And you may not need to store those partagas for 5 yrs if they have a date of Dec 14.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I’m sure you have enough cigars that if you smoked one ROTT and it was bad you wouldn’t lose sleep over it

Smoke one ROTT!
Well no, you're correct. I wouldn't lose sleep. But if I've got that many cigars, I wouldn't be itching to smoke what was just delivered.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you are planning to age for 5 years what is the point of smoking one ROTT? If it is good you will be even more tempted to dig into before the 5 yrs are up and if it is meh you will be tempted to try another in 6-12 months to see if they have progressed. How does either of those options help you?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If you are planning to age for 5 years what is the point of smoking one ROTT? If it is good you will be even more tempted to dig into before the 5 yrs are up and if it is meh you will be tempted to try another in 6-12 months to see if they have progressed. How does either of those options help you?
You’re assuming the advice given was meant to be helpful.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok the thing is I had a few extra bucks and I have a sh*t load of NCs that will probably not withstand the test of time. I'm looking to start my Cuban journey but I have the time and patience to put them away. I figured even if I'm not a fan of a particular smoke someone will want them in the future