What's new

Covid/Long covid effects?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background...

So my household first suffered covid in oct year before last. Then again about 5 months later. And not again since (that we know of).

The first round had no effect on my sense of taste. The second time, a few specific foods tasted different. Didnt notice a difference with cigars.

This past november, all of a sudden the majority of cigars i smoke tasted horrible or not at all. Just a few would have a little bit of an ok taste. Along with some foods (coffee nearly tasteless). Only in the last couple weeks has it improved some.

I have not been sick in quite a while.

Anybody else here experience random, wierd swings in thier pallete?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So strange that it would affect your senses for only specific foods, not a general loss of taste like a cold.

Hope you get feeling better, wife and I have been fortunate to avoid the virus.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the a similer problem, Had the woo flu twice and lost my sense of taste on the first go for about 3-4 weeks and about 2-3 weeks on the second go around.

The wierd thing is when I want a soda pop it's always classic Coke It's been my go to forever AND NOW it taste like motor oil.

every thing else is the same Cigars are about the same after but I enjoy full strength sticks more now then before,However I'm not sure if that is a normal palate shift (mine has

changed over the years) or becouse of the flu.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I included long covid in the topic because the more people i talk to about it, the more i hear about odd symptoms that occur long after the sickness is gone.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I just recovered from china virus and my taste was not affected, but I developed an ear infection during covid and the doctor gave me Cephalexin, which destroyed my taste buds. Everything tastes metallic. I thought I made it through with taste buds intact, but no such luck. The overwhelming majority of people who lose their taste as a result of covid get their sense of taste back, but it can take a while. My covid symptoms were terrible an I ended up in the ER. But the whole time my primary concern was my cigar palate would be ruined:LOL:.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've had covid 3 times. The first in December 2020 and it took about 6 months to get my sense of small and taste back.
@Thebutcher funny you said Coke tastes like motor oil. I went to In-N-Out during my smell/taste loss and had my usual order with a Coke and it tasted like cologne!:ROFLMAO:
I had to suffer through the taste every time I went, cuz I just love In-N-Out with Coke so much.
The first time I took a sip I went to the guy at the counter and told him I thought there was something wrong with the soda machine. Needless to say, he gave me a funny look.
After that 6 months smell /taste went back to normal and the last two times I had it, there was no loss of either.
No other odd symptoms since.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
@heavyd glad you made it through with a sense of humor. Did the Drs say anything correlating your severe symptoms with possible future long covid issues?
I asked about "long covid" and the ER physician shrugged his shoulders and said, "We'll see." I am convinced everybody is just falling down stairs in the dark when it comes to covid.

My only covid symptom was extreme torso pain. I always thought covid would be like a severe flu, but it wasn't. I had no respiratory issues and no fever.

....and an ear infection. Go figure.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had Covid twice. Once was literally the week before it grabbed news headlines. The second was last fall.

I went from being borderline obnoxious with what I could taste to broader flavor notes. The stick has to be the perfect humidity and exactly at the right time for me to even get 75% of what I use to get from smoking. I still love it though and just learned to be happy at my new level.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had it once. It was basically a flu for me - fever for a few days and I had extreme fatigue for about a week. Nothing super respiratory. THe only taste thing that I had was that I didn't have a big appetite and nothing sounded good except Hot Pockets, so that is what I lived on for a few days. I tried making a chicken salad sandwich, and it tasted rancid. I know that chicken was good as I had just bought it at Costco. I was back to normal in a couple of weeks and chicken salad tasted good again...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've had a Spring tree pollen allergy for two weeks that's worse than most of what you all are describing with Covid. Glad everyone is doing well and posting but I guess if you hadn't of made it .........

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I just tested positive for the second time last Thursday (the first time was November of 2021).

Nothing more than a bad cold for me this time with a little extra fatigue. Thankfully taste and smell are both still intact with no issues I am aware of (yet).

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I just tested positive for the second time last Thursday (the first time was November of 2021).

Nothing more than a bad cold for me this time with a little extra fatigue. Thankfully taste and smell are both still intact with no issues I am aware of (yet).
I'm glad it's mild for you, I had the same experience with my only go-round in May '22.