What's new

Credit Card Fraud

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Got a call from Amex saying did you make these purchases?

Good news is they are taking the charges off and issuing me a new card. There is only one or two places they could have gotten my info as I have used the card twice in the last year.

Any other precautions I can take??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago same thing happened to me. I got a call from the credit card co. asking if I was in Oakland, CA buying $6,500.00 worth of merchandise from some Rim and Tire company. I told them "No, I'm in my office working" and they stopped the transaction. I ran an Equifax, TRW and Transunion and found out that someone had created another me in another city with my exact info (name,address,SS#,DOB etc.).

I added infor to my credit files so that now anytime someone checks my credit or applies for credit, I get a phone call from the reporting agency.

In order to protect yourself, make sure you do the same.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I am definitely goint to set up an account with equifax to notify me. Its only 100 a year so it's worth it.

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
caudio51 said:
I am definitely goint to set up an account with equifax to notify me. Its only 100 a year so it's worth it.
Sounds like you have the bases covered. Check your credit report with Equifax frequently. Although credit issuers are supposed to respond to fraudulent activity, some don't and the best way to mitigate that it to check frequently.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
In this situation you definitely have to be proactive. Better to deal with the issue before it becomes an issue.

I just wish I knew how they got my information as I am very carfeul with it.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
caudio51 said:
In this situation you definitely have to be proactive. Better to deal with the issue before it becomes an issue.

I just wish I knew how they got my information as I am very carfeul with it.
You'd be surprised how they can get it....statements tossed in the trash, but it very well could have been the clerk or whatever where you used it last.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, those bastards. I could never do that to someone. I just have to keep a closer eye on my credit/statements which is something I do anyway. Just need to be even more meticulous (sp?)

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Bugs said:
2 years ago same thing happened to me. I got a call from the credit card co. asking if I was in Oakland, CA buying $6,500.00 worth of merchandise from some Rim and Tire company. I told them "No, I'm in my office working" and they stopped the transaction. I ran an Equifax, TRW and Transunion and found out that someone had created another me in another city with my exact info (name,address,SS#,DOB etc.).

I added infor to my credit files so that now anytime someone checks my credit or applies for credit, I get a phone call from the reporting agency.

In order to protect yourself, make sure you do the same.
Damn thats crazy the shit they do.