What's new

Crowned Heads - La Imperiosa

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Sweet. It looks like the Las Calaveras 2014 is making a comeback as a regular production. I didn't get any of the this years because it was not the same blend. Now it looks like I have another box to save up for. A CG size! Oh hellz yes!

Per Halfwheel:

Don’t call it a comeback. The Las Calaveras EL 2014 is returning.
The newest regular production line from Crowned Heads is La Imperiosa and it’s the same blend as last year’s Las Calaveras, arguably the company’s most sought after line to date. Unfortunately for Crowned Heads fans, Las Calaveras is the company’s annual regular production and the cigars went quickly, particularly in the robusto vitola.

Now the blend, which consists of an Ecuadorian habano oscuro wrapper covering binder and filler tobaccos from Nicaragua, returns for good. There will be four different violas at launch, all of which will be sold in boxes of 24: Corona Gorda (5 3/4 x 46), Magicos (4 1/2 x 52), Double Robusto (6 3/8 x 50) and Dukes (5 1/2 x 54). Prices for the four sizes have not been finalized, but will range from $8.25 to $9.75 each.
While the blend might be returning, none of the original sizes are. The Las Calaveras was produced in LC550 (5 x 50), LC652 (6 x 52) and LC754 (7 x 54) last year.

La Imperiosa, which translates to the imperative, is an old Cuban brand from the 1900s. Crowned Heads filed for a trademark on the brand last year.
It will launch at next month’s IPCPR Convention & Trade Show in New Orleans. It’s the second regular production Crowned Heads brand to be produced at My Father Cigars S.A. following the release of
Jericho Hill last year.

“We are very excited to release La Imperiosa next month,” wrote Jon Huber, co-owner of Crowned Heads, in a text to halfwheel. “Everything about this brand — from the blend to the meaning behind the name to the packaging — all came together so seamlessly; it felt as though this release was always meant to happen. It was ‘so necessary.'”

While it might be an old name, the artwork for the release is new. Huber explained that the images and symbols which appear on the La Imperiosa crest have a multitude of meanings:
  • Color — “The primary color, Maroon, symbolizes victory and/or perseverance in battle. It certainly has been a ‘battle’ to grow our company over the last 4 years; we began shipping to 66 stores in November 2011. Today, that number of retail partners has grown to close to 700 stores.”
  • Swords — “The sword is a symbol of power and freedom, which alludes to our freedom from the ‘corporate machine,’ and our choice to ‘Carve Our Own Path.’”
  • Snake — “The serpent is a symbol of defiance, and additionally, also represents renewal. This also alludes to our decision to remain in Nashville, and create ‘Crowned Heads.’”
  • Dragon — “The dragon is the guardian of treasures, and is also the bravest of all the creatures.”
  • Crown — “The crown is a symbol of victory, sovereignty and empire; it also ties back to our namesake, “Crowned Heads.”
According to Huber, La Imperiosa is scheduled to ship immediately following the 2015 IPCPR Convention & Trade Show in July. In addition to the 24-count boxes, the company is also making a La Imperiosa sampler, which will contain one of each of the four different vitolas.

Link: http://halfwheel.com/crowned-heads-bringing-la-imperiosa-at-ipcpr-2015/87676

driver

Attitude + Effort = Results
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I tread lightly here but I was left with mixed emotions. There was a romance with seeing the lc2014 in my humidor knowing they were special. Now there just a rugular really good cigar. I know I'm a big sap but disappointed:(

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I tread lightly here but I was left with mixed emotions. There was a romance with seeing the lc2014 in my humidor knowing they were special. Now there just a rugular really good cigar. I know I'm a big sap but disappointed:(
I know how you feel, but the opportunity to get more completely trumps that feeling for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe the price will be a little less also since it is not a LE anymore. I would be in the market for a 5er of the CG as well. Would be a box but even though some say they got better after a years rest I think they were better fresh.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Really glad to hear that they are becoming a regular production cigar. Looks like I need to start clearing some space for a couple of boxes of these in my cooler.

Thanks @JonHuber!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
BOTL - And we're not gonna "re-package" the cigars in some marketing-driven BS bundle with a goofy name/sticker on them and charge you $18++ per cigar....

Just saying. LOL

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Have I told you lately that I love you @JonHuber ;)