Rating - 75%
4   1   0
Cuaba Distinguidos JNL DIC 04

Vitola:
Romeos

Dimentions:
7” x 52

From a dress box of 10

Background: This vitola was initially a perfecto in the Romeo y Julietta line, known as the Romeo, and was discontinued in the 1970’s. It was resurrected for the Millenium Reserve under the Cuaba marquee in 1999. Several of these Romeos were made for the Romeo y Julietta 125th humidor which was released in late 2000, and was made a regular production vitola in mid 2004 coming on the heels of the success of the Cuaba Salomones, which were released in mid 2003.

Visual:

This cigar had a very ordinary looking wrapper. It had a decent amount of oils on it, exhibited a moderate amount of veining (nothing extreme), and had a well made cap on it. The wrapper was applied well, with just a little bit of stretching around the foot. To describe the shape of the cigar, one just needs to think of a pirimide with a perfecto tip. It does not become as radically bulbous around the foot, like the Salamones, but maintains its girth for a good portion of the cigar.

12/15

Construction.

The cigar cut very well. I cut it to a point where the amount of tobacco exposed was about 40 or so ring gauge. The cigar had a very good draw—not too full, nor too tight. The tobacco was rolled using the booking method. It had a very full, bery well packed bunch. The ash held on for six inches. I did not once need to tap the ash off for the entirety of the cigar. As it smoked down, the smoke did not get hot, nor did the draw increase in volume. The cigar was most certainly not underfilled. Touch up was needed several times, but it no canouing was present, which was good to see.

18/20

Pre light:

The cigar had a very crisp clean taste

Flavor:

I lit the cigar using a cedar spill, lighting up the first quarter inch of the cigar. The cigar proceeded to create a great deal of smoke. The smoke was very creamy, and very complex. The flavor at the beginning was very reminiscent of the herbal, toasty flavors of the Cuaba Salomones. The flavors slowly increased, so that by the half way mark, the herbal flavors gave way to a marked crisp grassy flavor, not as intense as those present in the Cohiba marquee, but delightful nevertheless. Hints of nuts were also present. As it burnt down, it started to become very reminiscent of the Cuaba Divinos, and hints of youth were present. The mild to medium bodied flavors present in the cigar were very pleasant. The cigar left a very floral, very sharp finish. In all likelihood, these cigars still have some room for improvement. A pleasant way to spend an hour and forty five minutes.

60/65

Overall:

For a six month old cigar, this cigar was very good. While it was just one cigar, it seems as if the fast burning, too full draws from the cigars earlier in 2004 seems to have been corrected. This cigar is definitely recommended to those who like the Cuaba marquee, especially those, who like I have a predilection for the Divinos and Salomones. I would recommend, that due to its mild body, that one make it one’s first cigar of the day. Based on this one cigar, I actually prefer it over the Salomones, based on its increased depth, and quicker, more dramatic changes in flavors.

90/100

LasciviousXXX

One Bad M.F.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Excellent Review Havanaphile. It would seem that you smoke some very decent cigars on a fairly regular basis. If so..... Rock On bro..... I'm envious :D