What's new

Cuba And The Future of Our Beloved Habanos

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Some folks believe that change is afoot in Cuba which could drastically affect the political climate there. I don't know about that but at any rate, Fidel is getting old and at some point he's going to check out. Who knows what'll happen then. I'm sure it will lead to the end of the embargo. Fidels exit and the easing of trade restrictions should be a very good thing for the Cuban people and their economy. However, it will also give commercial interests more control over our beloved cigars and could have a major impact on the industry there. While I hope that the people of Cuba gain the freedom to choose their own government I have to wonder what effect it will have on their wonderful cigars. Will Altadis implement "lean manufacturing" to try and increase their profits? Will prices go up or down? Will the quality stay the same?
What say you?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Ditto...Taxes suck and that why I went to cubans. Oh and for that twang too :smokingme

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That and a very likely onslaught of fake cubans (RE: Canada). It would be nice to just go to the local smoke shop and pick up a habano though...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
windowrx said:
Some folks believe that change is afoot in Cuba which could drastically affect the political climate there. I don't know about that but at any rate, Fidel is getting old and at some point he's going to check out. Who knows what'll happen then. I'm sure it will lead to the end of the embargo. Fidels exit and the easing of trade restrictions should be a very good thing for the Cuban people and their economy. However, it will also give commercial interests more control over our beloved cigars and could have a major impact on the industry there. While I hope that the people of Cuba gain the freedom to choose their own government I have to wonder what effect it will have on their wonderful cigars. Will Altadis implement "lean manufacturing" to try and increase their profits? Will prices go up or down? Will the quality stay the same?
What say you?
I wouldn't bet the farm on the embargo or communism ending on the Island just yet. Fidel has a younger brother he has been grooming for the top spot. That is what scares the hell out of me. I want it to end for the people. However, I believe once it does end, you and I, as well as all habanos lovers will be crying over the loss of quality, and the higher prices. Just my two cents.

WarriorPro

Partagas Addicted
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
windowrx said:
What say you?

There's no telling about the rest of it but I do think that change is in the air. Just a few hours ago I saw on TV Bush saying "the winds of freedom are blowing in Cuba" or something to that effect. I think when he starts saying stuff like that you can look for something to be happening soon.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Might be a good time to start stocking up...
(Like any time is NOT a good time to stock up on Habanos LOL!!!)
But seriously, it might be good to hedge some product against future problems, which may be right around the corner.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Could lead to come private cigar makers like Torano, and others making Cuban cigars. Maybe we could get some interesting cigars like a cigar with a Cuban Filler and a Cameroon wrapper?