What's new

Cuban [style] coffee?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys,

With all of the wonderful things I've heard about Cuban coffee, I'm intrigued. Plus, I'd like to find out how much I like it (if at all) before my trip to Little Havana in a couple weeks... where I was instructed to drink as much of it as I could get my hands on.

Anyways... is there an easy recipe for a newb to follow to give it a test drive? Certain things I should pay extra attention to?

Thanks!

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, grab a moki pot fill it with cafe bustelo then dump about a pound of sugar in it. Boom, cuban coffee.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
every person and family has their own prep, but basically espresso (or analogue) with sugar, and possibly milk (or half and half/ cream for con leche). you want to do it at home, my little cuban sensei taught me to pull the first coffee to brew out of the pot (almost like crema, but not as thick from a moka put), whisk sugar into it, then add it back to the top of the pot; it incorporates the sugar better, allowing for total dissolution and not gritty sugar chunks.

and, DEAR GOD NO! do NOT pound stuff unless you have been cross training! kev and i might be able to (being semi-professional and semi-dependent, respectively), but the combination of concentration and caffeine per ml will make that s#1t sneak up on you.

that said, the stuff is la bomba, and enjoy with my envy. o)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

With all of the wonderful things I've heard about Cuban coffee, I'm intrigued. Plus, I'd like to find out how much I like it (if at all) before my trip to Little Havana in a couple weeks... where I was instructed to drink as much of it as I could get my hands on.

Anyways... is there an easy recipe for a newb to follow to give it a test drive? Certain things I should pay extra attention to?

Thanks!
Cubita coffee is good very smooth, to get the full flavor i like to use a french press otherwise comes out a little too weak.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Java brought up a good point, remove some coffee from the pot, mix with sugar than bring it back to the pot.