What's new

Curious about local tobacco

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Been watching this guy's field for a couple of months, and was just wondering.. Is this just "burley" (?) destined for cigarettes? Or could it be anything more interesting?
tmp_20787-20170828_1726011862302028.jpg
tmp_20787-20170828_172546-1209025315.jpg tmp_20787-20170828_172713-1816845521.jpg
We have some really fertile land here, and growing up there used to be an amazing amount of tobacco grown. I always found it curious that I never heard anything about it going to higher purposes.. ;)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If the location on your profile is accurate I would assume most likely a burley crop. Possibly Virginia. Only one way to know for sure though. See if you can talk with the farmer and ask if he grows any cigar leaf

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
If the location on your profile is accurate I would assume most likely a burley crop. Possibly Virginia. Only one way to know for sure though. See if you can talk with the farmer and ask if he grows any cigar leaf
Haven't managed to catch him there yet when I drive by, but I will if I do.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Yeah, I wondered if it was apparent simply by appearance. All that I've seen growing up looked the same, but the pictures I've seen of the Oliva fields, the varieties didn't seem drastically different in appearance from a cursory glance. I guess what I'm really wondering is if there's something about temperate climates or American growing conditions that's less ideal for quality cigar tobaccos, or is it more of an issue with aging and fermenting facilities and knowledge. Or some other factors.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I wondered if it was apparent simply by appearance. All that I've seen growing up looked the same, but the pictures I've seen of the Oliva fields, the varieties didn't seem drastically different in appearance from a cursory glance. I guess what I'm really wondering is if there's something about temperate climates or American growing conditions that's less ideal for quality cigar tobaccos, or is it more of an issue with aging and fermenting facilities and knowledge. Or some other factors.
It could be as simple or as complex as your mind wraps around it. My guess is taxation, politics, cost of labor as to why more tobacco isn't grown in the USA.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be as simple or as complex as your mind wraps around it. My guess is taxation, politics, cost of labor as to why more tobacco isn't grown in the USA.
From what I have seen on cigar production videos, the process requires a great deal of hand work. Most likely tobacco produced in the US would be more expensive than that produced In countries where labor is less expensive.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I have seen on cigar production videos, the process requires a great deal of hand work. Most likely tobacco produced in the US would be more expensive than that produced In countries where labor is less expensive.
Yes sir, I agree. It's a labor intensive process to produce processed, fermented tobacco leaf.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There's a slew of tobacco grown here.
It's shipped overseas to get cured and rolled.