What's new

Dallas- Help?

slcraiders

Rockin' in the Free World
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I will be on business in Dallas - May 14-17 staying at the Hotel Lawrence downtown. Anyone have any suggestions on good B&Ms and/or cigar friendly establishments in that area?

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
This is a cut-n-paste of the response I gave to GWN (that he just mentioned):

---------------------------------------------

There are a LOT of b&ms in the Dallas area, but unfortunately you're not gonna find many in the central business district (downtown proper, where all the big buildings are). There are a couple of cigar-friendly BARs down there, but no actual b&ms. For those, you're going to have to go on a bit of a hike.

The closest b&m to downtown is in uptown:

Up In Smoke
UPtown Plaza
2222 McKinney
Dallas 75201
214-855-1234

I haven't been to that particular location, but I do frequent one of their other locations (on Loop 12 and 75 Central, a few miles to the north near the Park Cities). Of all the b&ms in Dallas, Up In Smoke carries some of the finest selections (Fuente, Davidoff, Tatuaje, etc) however they don't necessarily have the widest selection, and you have to be a club member to get access to the top-shelf selection.

The widest (but not necessarily the finest) selection in Dallas is probably at Monfort Cigars, which you seem to have already found...but that's right on the edge of Dallas & North Dallas, near the Tollway and 635. That's about 8 or 10 miles away. Of course, it might be worth the trek up there if you're planning on buying boxes; that's the only place I know of in the DFW area that will *haggle* on prices. That's right--the box prices listed are suggested prices. The owner walks around with a calculator in his pocket and EXPECTS to haggle with you. It's kinda fun--if you know your prices well.

There are a few other b&ms that are inbetween distance-wise. There is CITY CIGARS at the happenin' Knox-Henderson area just to the north of the Uptown area. 3001 Knox St, Dallas 75205. Weak selection IMHO, but they have a roller on-site that makes a lot of custom sticks.

There's also a small b&m called DALLAS CIGARS on Upper Greenvile, 1 block west of 75 Central at Caruth Haven. They don't have much high-end stuff, but you might be able to access it via the DART RAIL; it's off the Red Line, north of downtown, between the Lover's and Park Lane stops. I'd get off at Lovers, walk 1 block west to Greenville, and start walking north through the nice shopping/restaurant district. You'll still have to hike about a mile or two, but if you don't have access to a car, it might be the way to go.

Personally, I'd suggest you start with Up In Smoke in Uptown, since it's nice and close...albiet a tad small.

And if you're looking for a place to smoke, I've heard there's a cigar-friendly bar called "Dallasites" on the east side of downtown, near Ross & 75.

Hope that helps!

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Also, I just found out about this place:

PEARL AT COMMERCE
2038 Commerce Street, Dallas, 75201
(corner of Commerce & Pearl in downtown Dallas)

Info about the place (note that it says "cigar friendly"):
http://www.pegasusnews.com/places/pearl/

Apparently, some of the "DFW Cigar Society" group goes there relatively frequently, so it's obviously cigar-friendly. It's only about a mile away from where you're staying, so it should be easy enough to get to...quick TAXI trip, for sure.

Also, since you're gonna be in town, we should meet up for a cigar one night when you're not busy. :yes:

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm planning on being up in Dallas around the same time. My Cousin is graduating on the 12th with her Masters. Haven't decide how long we are going to stay up there.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I'm game whenever, fellas. If we wanna herf, there are several places we can go...but if you wanna stay in downtown-proper, we should try Pearl.

Oh, and TexaSmoke...where's your cousin graduating from?