What's new

Daniel Marshall 30125 unboxing

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Ok...had nothing going on today so I thought I would share this. I just started getting back into cigars after about 10 years after I uncovered my old humidor. Unfortunately, there were some real nice sticks in there left unattended that had to be discarded. I cleaned it out, seasoned it and set it up with a sampler pack from a local JR store and a couple Boveda packs. A long story short, it leaked badly and could not hold an acceptable RH. Thus began my search for a dependable humidor. I visited many a forum including this one to get the opinions of those more knowledgeable than me. I knew I wanted to stay away from a cheap made in China humidor as they are a crap shoot as to how they seal and other issues I read about. I wanted a humidor made in the U.S.A. and thus decided to buy a humidor by Daniel Marshall. From visiting the various forums I learned of their "Private Stock" (scratch and dent) humidors that were sold at a significant discount.
The purchasing process could not have been any easier. A simple email sent and a reply with the available models currently on hand was received. I spoke with Doug at DM and he was extremely helpful and patient in dealing with all of my questions. In the end I decided to go with the 30125 model in Burl wood with a top tray. A week later it arrived and was extremely well packed, double boxed. Upon removal from the exterior box was another smaller box containing the humidor.

The humidor was neatly wrapped to prevent any scratching...

Removal of the wrapping revealed a thing of beauty (at least in my eyes, note top shows reflections and I didn't really catch the beauty of the Burl wood, I'm not a great photographer)..

The interior was stuffed with additional paper to protect during shipping.

Removal of the packaging revealed the top tray with 2 movable dividers, instructions, key for the lock, a bottle of humidifier solution, a spare bottle and a surprise 5 pack of DM cigars....

Removal of the tray revealed more packaging and the bottom section with 2 movable dividers.

The unit also came with a digital hygrometer and humidification block nicely hidden behind a cedar slide. I am replacing the green foam with Heartfelt 65rh beads.

I inspected the unit and I'd be damned if i can find what is wrong with it that makes it a "Private Stock". At best as I can tell, I can see a tiny, tiny dent/dip on the lid in a certain light but the finish is not affected. The lid fit seams to seal nicely as you get that nice swoosh of air when you drop the lid. I am currently seasoning it with 6 Boveda 84rh packs and it should be done by this Thursday (These 2 weeks are killing me). During this time I calibrated the included hygrometer and found that it appeared to not be functioning properly. One email to DM and they sent out a new hygrometer the next day, no questions asked. Now that's what I call customer service. All I can say is that I am extremely happy with the service I received dealing with DM and of course with the quality of the product. If you're in the market for a nice Humidor and want to save a few $$ I can't recommend Daniel Marshall "Private Stock" humidors enough.

Now the only problem is I appear to be sliding down that slippery slope at break neck speed and wonder how long before I need to upgrade?:banghead:

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
With this new humi, I'd say you've bought yourself a good 20-30 minutes. :) I upgraded mine twice before finally biting the bullet two days ago and getting a cigar cooler / wineador.

Nice review! (y)
Tell me about it... saw the link you posted ref. the Wineador sale and was tempted to make a preemptive strike because the price seemed so good.:greedy:

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
so that's your first/only humidor?
Actually its my second and only. My first was the useless one I mentioned in OP. I'm going to use that one to hold cigar supplies etc.
I have a tupperware with Boveda packs until the DM is done seasoning. I also recently bought some Herfadors from that Devil site for dirt cheap. Going to Vegas in a few weeks :D

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Actually its my second and only. My first was the useless one I mentioned in OP. I'm going to use that one to hold cigar supplies etc.
I have a tupperware with Boveda packs until the DM is done seasoning. I also recently bought some Herfadors from that Devil site for dirt cheap. Going to Vegas in a few weeks :D
Guess I cannot read, maybe I just like the pictures. :)

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
It's not a trap. I'm not subtle, just curious. Most people don't drop that kind of dough on a first humidor so I was curious.
I live by the motto you get what you pay for. I went the cheap route and had nothing but trouble. I read about all the problems people had with the mass produced "Made in China" humidors and didn't feel like rolling the dice hoping I'd get one that sealed properly. My thinking was , as @rraming stated, pay a little more now and it should last me the rest of my life. Then again, I had yet to go down that slope before this decision was made :nailbiting:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice box, if it's anything like the two I've bought from DM, be sure to throw that damn green foam away! I made the mistake of thinking that since the box cost me so much, they must know what they were talking about. Followed the instructions to the letter, molded up over night. One night. Live and learn. Beads or boveda is the way.

Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Nice box, if it's anything like the two I've bought from DM, be sure to throw that damn green foam away! I made the mistake of thinking that since the box cost me so much, they must know what they were talking about. Followed the instructions to the letter, molded up over night. One night. Live and learn. Beads or boveda is the way.
Yup, luckily I learned that from reading this and other forums. Already removed the green foam and replaced it with Heartfelt beads and just waiting for the seasoning to be over...(y)