What's new

Date Codes...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No, this isn't the same thread you all are thinking of! Shame, shame. :rofl:

So, I was perusing a certain vendor's spreadsheet today (now that didn't give it away did it, lol) and I happened to notice Cohiba Sublime 2004 ELs with Jun 05 Date Codes.

SO. Someone explain to me how this is NOT strange? The only way this would not strike me as strange is if the first date codes for Sublimes were June of 04. Otherwise something fishy seems to be going on to me. I'm sure of this site's legitimacy so I'm not suggesting fakes. But if you are still producing 2004 ELs in 2005...something about the definition seems to be amiss to me.

Thoughts from those more knowledgable that I?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Would it be similar to the bi-centenial quarter where it was produced from 1975-76? Maybe it's because there is still tobacco left over or it wasn't fully produced.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Same thing happened with the Hoyo Epicure Esp. I believe they stamp the boxes after they are filled, etc. because it seems unneccessary to unstack them, stamp them and then restack them, etc. I'd say they had a large supply of Sublime tobacco available. Just trying to squeeze the profit out of them I guess.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Jwrussell said:
if you are still producing 2004 ELs in 2005...something about the definition seems to be amiss to me.

So many things with your post I could respond to, but I'll just hit the biggens...
First of all, the quote above is part of the reason why many moderate collectors leave the ELs for the Newbs or SERIOUS guys out there. If you're buying just a few boxes or under a month, they're not too worth buying. Their turnaround time is so long it's really like not even buying the smokes until many years later when they truly come around.

Now, to answer your question, there are a number of possible, and a few probable, answers:
1) Habanos is still producing them. Yes, EL really means a bunch of crap. (whether or not this is still happening is not known by me. There are some brothers who have neough knowledge of Habanos to know though. I'll ask some of em)
2) Since the boxcode is stamped when the cigars leave rather than when they're boxed, it could just be a case of a box sitting around a factory for a year before it shipped.
3) They were revisado'd
4) They're fake
5) The vendor is wrong (though a little hard to be THAT wrong. I could see if these were even made in June 04 but to my info, they were not. Not until September 04 at the earliest I believe)

So there you go. I thought I had another option, but I don't remember yet. Sorry Jas!