DE Safety Razor - questions

Discussion in 'Fashion & Fitness' started by sean, Apr 23, 2012.

1. sean

sean BoM June 13 Donor 3

Media:
    Albums:
    So I got tired of the beard, and finally picked up a DE safety razor, brush, Taylor of bond street cream, etc, etc... I can see how guys can really "get into" this. Never will I use a cartridge razor again. My qustions revolve around what a saleswoman told me at the art of shaving store (I am trying to figure out if she was being helpful, or pushing product)

Anyone else on here on the safety razor/strait-edge path find any usefulness in "aftershave balm?"

2. BrandonP

BrandonP Cigar King Scottsdale

We sell shaving products here at Cigar King, through our website Shavingcreams.com, and I love the aftershave balm. Billy Jealousy makes some great stuff and so does Kyoku. Makes my neck way less irritated after I shave. I love love love the Taylor of Old Bond Street shave creams btw. Great pickup there!

3. sean

sean BoM June 13 Donor 3

Media:
    Albums:
    Funny you should respond... I was thinking about your site, and was going to order some stuff in the coming weeks, but was also curious to find out if I could order shaving cream and cigars in the same order?

4. BrandonP

BrandonP Cigar King Scottsdale

Ya that wouldn't be a problem. Just call in the order vs. doing it online. We ship everything from the same place so it is easy to do and saves you on shipping costs. Glad to know you were looking into us! Thanks Sean.

5. Okcsmoker

Okcsmoker

Media:
    Albums:
    HELL YES IT MATTERS! haha. My face looks like a 14 years olds pimply red face if I do not use aftershave balm. Some people are affected differently by shaving in my opinion. I have friends who barely grow patchy facial hair, and friends like myself who grow beards in a week.

6. Alwayslit

Alwayslit Not part of the MoB

.....:thumbsup:

7. njstone

njstone BoM January 2010 Donor 7

Drew Estates makes razors now? Cool.

8. Schmec

Schmec

I use nivea sensitive skin balm. Comes in a little silver squeeze bottle. They sell it at most grocery stores CVS right aid. Works really well.
    Another good thing to do is rinse your face with cold water after the shave. Helps close your pours and sooth your skin.
    What brand razor blade are you using? I highly recommend feather. Extremely sharp but they cut so smooth.

9. cartisdm

cartisdm Young & Eager

Media:
    Albums:
    :headroll:

Per the original question, yes aftershave can make a big difference for some people. Aftershave with alcohol/witch hazel tends to tighten up your face and close your pores. Splash with cold water and then some aftershave and you'll seal those pores up from dirt and get a nice tight face.

Aftershave balm relieves the burning feeling some guys have and it keeps your face moisturized. Balm for "razor bumps" usually has that acid stuff that's in acne face washes to prevent small bumps from appearing.

After my shave I spash with cold water, splash with witch hazel, splash some Old Spice, then rub in some Trader Joe's sent-free face lotion. :thumbsup:

10. NCost

NCost Donor 4

Media:
    Albums:
    So are the Safety razors any good for those of us that shave our heads? Or am I going to be a bloody mess? :)

11. KoreanCowboy

KoreanCowboy

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been using Dove aftershave moisturizer and it's very good for a cheap $4 bottle. Makes my face feel very nice.

12. spark

spark

13. Hot_Sauce

Hot_Sauce ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&

There are guys out there that use DE razors to shave their heads.

14. gentimmy

gentimmy

I was thinking the same thing....:dunno: