What's new

DE Safety Razor - questions

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So I got tired of the beard, and finally picked up a DE safety razor, brush, Taylor of bond street cream, etc, etc... I can see how guys can really "get into" this. Never will I use a cartridge razor again. My qustions revolve around what a saleswoman told me at the art of shaving store (I am trying to figure out if she was being helpful, or pushing product)

Anyone else on here on the safety razor/strait-edge path find any usefulness in "aftershave balm?"

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We sell shaving products here at Cigar King, through our website Shavingcreams.com, and I love the aftershave balm. Billy Jealousy makes some great stuff and so does Kyoku. Makes my neck way less irritated after I shave. I love love love the Taylor of Old Bond Street shave creams btw. Great pickup there!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
We sell shaving products here at Cigar King, through our website Shavingcreams.com, and I love the aftershave balm. Billy Jealousy makes some great stuff and so does Kyoku. Makes my neck way less irritated after I shave. I love love love the Taylor of Old Bond Street shave creams btw. Great pickup there!
Funny you should respond... I was thinking about your site, and was going to order some stuff in the coming weeks, but was also curious to find out if I could order shaving cream and cigars in the same order?

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ya that wouldn't be a problem. Just call in the order vs. doing it online. We ship everything from the same place so it is easy to do and saves you on shipping costs. Glad to know you were looking into us! Thanks Sean.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
HELL YES IT MATTERS! haha. My face looks like a 14 years olds pimply red face if I do not use aftershave balm. Some people are affected differently by shaving in my opinion. I have friends who barely grow patchy facial hair, and friends like myself who grow beards in a week.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0

.....:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I use nivea sensitive skin balm. Comes in a little silver squeeze bottle. They sell it at most grocery stores CVS right aid. Works really well.
Another good thing to do is rinse your face with cold water after the shave. Helps close your pours and sooth your skin.
What brand razor blade are you using? I highly recommend feather. Extremely sharp but they cut so smooth.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Drew Estates makes razors now? Cool.
:headroll:

Per the original question, yes aftershave can make a big difference for some people. Aftershave with alcohol/witch hazel tends to tighten up your face and close your pores. Splash with cold water and then some aftershave and you'll seal those pores up from dirt and get a nice tight face.

Aftershave balm relieves the burning feeling some guys have and it keeps your face moisturized. Balm for "razor bumps" usually has that acid stuff that's in acne face washes to prevent small bumps from appearing.

After my shave I spash with cold water, splash with witch hazel, splash some Old Spice, then rub in some Trader Joe's sent-free face lotion. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So are the Safety razors any good for those of us that shave our heads? Or am I going to be a bloody mess? :)

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alcohol free balms are very necessary for they're moisturizing and anti-inflammatory element. Paramount to great aftershave care, literally.