What's new

Deep Philosophical Question... Humidors

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here it is. Very old friend from NY, banker guy who buys good scotch and cigars, comes down to visit me in Miami winter in NYC. He usually comes bearing gifts, and leaves them, scotch I know what to do with... but I don't have a good humidor. I usually keep the smokes in the bag with a boveda.

So heres the question: whats a good humidor for a novice like me and how long can I keep cigars in a humidor... ie. is there a general shelf life rule?

David

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Welcome to BOTL! Good question.

In general, assuming you maintain the humidor (i.e. keep the humidity and temperature regulated) there's no end to how long you can keep the cigars. Some guys age cigars for years before they even think about smoking them. Keep in mind that not all cigars age the same - some will get much better after 5 or even 10 years, others will peak before 2 years. The key to all of them though, is temperature and humidity.You'll often hear the 70/70 rule - 70 degrees and 70% relative humidity. Most guys who smoke a lot find that most cigars taste better at more like 65%-67% RH, but they'll keep fine anywhere from like 62%-70%.

Just keep in mind that you need to monitor them regularly (at least monthly, though plenty of people check daily) to make sure the temp and RH are where they should be. Over time, you'll need to replace the Bovedas (which are GREAT by the way).

I'm sure others will come along with more info. Lots to learn here.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the best answers I could ask for. I was kind of turning into one of those neurotic types who felt bad about leaving the cigars he left me around and so sit out on the balcony and smoke them, when I wasn't really in the mood... I like the Boveda Tupperware solution... at least for now.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
If you go with a traditional humidor, it should be "seasoned" before you store cigars in it. (Common knowledge for many, but if you're new to cigars, it's an important step to remember.) I like the 84% Boveda seasoning packs for this task, but that's just me.

Tupperware or a cooler, just has to be clean - no special treatment required.

And of course, welcome to BOTL!

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Two of the best answers I could ask for. I was kind of turning into one of those neurotic types who felt bad about leaving the cigars he left me around and so sit out on the balcony and smoke them, when I wasn't really in the mood... I like the Boveda Tupperware solution... at least for now.
I keep a stash outside on the patio in case I'm too lazy to go back in for more. :)

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome to BOTL.org, David. Here's a Tupperdor that has worked for me for two years without a single issue. It is very simple to construct, very cheap, and very effective for long-term storage:

1) The container: Must have air-tight seal. Notice the rubber stripping around the edges of the lid. This brand makes plastic containers that are 100% PCB free for non-toxic food storage. $9.99

2) The Spanish Cedar: Not required for a tupperdor, but I like the aroma it affords the cigars and it retains humidity, keeping everything nicely balanced in the container. This here is a Spanish Cedar cigar tray that guys usually put in their humidors to separate and organize cigars. $12.99

3) BOVEDA Bag: There's many different options to humidify your cigars in this environment, but these little bags are the best. Period. Break open the plastic package and throw one in and that's it. You can replace once a year. One pack for every 30-40 cigars, typically. $3.99

4) The Hygrometer: Again, there are many options. Accurites are very good, require no calibration, and display high/low Relative Humidity and Temperature in a 24-hour period. $5.99 at Home Depot

5) Cigars: The fun part, but watch your wallet! LOL!

6) The Final Product: Keeps cigars smoking beautifully for as long as you want with practically no maintenance. $32.96 total cost!!!

Last edited:

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Welcome to BOTL.org, David. Here's a Tupperdor that has worked for me for two years without a single issue. It is very simple to construct, very cheap, and very effective for long-term storage:

1) The container: Must have air-tight seal. Notice the rubber stripping around the edges of the lid. This brand makes plastic containers that are 100% PCB free for non-toxic food storage. $9.99

2) The Spanish Cedar: Not required for a tupperdor, but I like the aroma it affords the cigars and it retains humidity, keeping everything nicely balanced in the container. This here is a Spanish Cedar cigar tray that guys usually put in their humidors to separate and organize cigars. $12.99

3) BOVEDA Bag: There's many different options to humidify your cigars in this environment, but these little bags are the best. Period. Break open the plastic package and throw one in and that's it. You can replace once a year. One pack for every 30-40 cigars, typically. $3.99

4) The Hygrometer: Again, there are many options. Accurites are very good, require no calibration, and display high/low Relative Humidity and Temperature in a 24-hour period. $5.99 at Home Depot

6) The Final Product: Keeps cigars smoking beautifully for as long as you want with practically no maintenance. $32.96 total cost!!!

You win.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an amazing set up and great photos too. Guess that's probably the best way to go.
Will feel better and not wasteful when I leave town for a few months back and forth.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need an Avatar. Feeling left out and uncool with my generic "male symbol"...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I purchased an Acu Rite hygrometer at Home Depot yesterday. I was disappointed to find that it does not have a way to calibrate it. It was 7 % off. 65% RH reads 58%. I can live with it but I don't trust it as my 'go to' hygrometer. The instruction manual says it is only accurate within +/- 10% RH.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I use the same brand of container and use cedar slats from old cigar boxes to line the sides. It works like a charm. Just remember not to leave it in direct light for long periods of time. That can affect the cigars.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
That was an amazing set up and great photos too. Guess that's probably the best way to go.
Will feel better and not wasteful when I leave town for a few months back and forth.
i'd throw in a couple bovedas if you plan on leaving it unattended for months at a time. just one might dry out.

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I purchased an Acu Rite hygrometer at Home Depot yesterday. I was disappointed to find that it does not have a way to calibrate it. It was 7 % off. 65% RH reads 58%. I can live with it but I don't trust it as my 'go to' hygrometer. The instruction manual says it is only accurate within +/- 10% RH.
I like the hydrosets for accuracy. Acu Rites I use for little Tupperdors. If you take a box cutter and slice open the vents, it might be more accurate.