What's new

deleted

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Several things to consider

There are substitutes now that did not exist 25 years ago. If you wanted to smoke good cigars your options where limited, nowdays there are some decent alternatives

The question always comes down to "what am I giving up to buy that box of cigars today vs what I gave up 25 years ago to buy a box of Cuban cigars?

I remember when a window unit air conditioner set you back almost a week's income, nowdays they are maybe a day or several hours wages even for lower wage workers. You would think that even in the economic hell hole like Cuban efficiencies in farming and manufacturing should have lowered the price of cigars vs the gold benchmark

One last thing

$100 in the S&P 500 in 1990 would be worth $2,559.51 in 2021 Looks like you should have invested your 100K in the S&P

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah the price increase SUCKS! But when I first started smoking cubans back in the mid 90's I did not have any online sources so I was buying a hand full at a time from a guy that worked at the Dunhill store in the mall:LOL: I was paying $20 to $25 a stick! So to me going back to paying $20 for a Robusto cigar is not out of the question. Of course I will not be buying like I used too but a box here and there will not kill me. It is something I really enjoy, I don't drink any more so I don't spend $$$ on wine like I used too. Be a caregiver to my mom for many years before she passed, and now the FIL took her place in my house and I am a caregiver again with only a few months break. Cigars are my gift to myself and my serenity so its a cheep cost for my sanityo_O

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been awhile. I don't post much.

This is. Something.....

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. And I too came out of hiding to comment on how tired my brain feels right now. :LOL:

A few thoughts:
  1. One year-2000 buck is worth about 1.80 today.
  2. Gold was in a slump at the turn of the millennium after skyrocketing in the 70s. An oz of gold was worth more in 1980 than it currently is. But yeah, It had dropped to its lowest point in recent history around 2000 which is what this calculation is based on.
  3. Wow. just wow.