What's new

Desktop Humidor Always Low!

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi guys, this has boggled me ever since I've bought the unit a lil while back. I am using a credo and beads in a 100ct humidor I bought back in november. I have always had trouble keeping the unit above 60-61RH and I don't know why. I've tried removing the beads, and that did nothing, then I tried putting in a shotglass of water. That just kept it stable, maybe raised it a couple points. At one point, I took everything out and put a bowl of water in there till it was like 78%RH, I believe, and that did not help, either. The credo has 100% Distilled water, same with the beads. I've tested it for leaks, and there doesn't seem to be any. Could the credo just be too small for this unit? I'd say it's about 2 1/4 inches in diameter. What else could you guys recommend? Oh, I'd say the humidor is about 2/3 full, maybe a little bit more.

Thanks,

Eric

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
How are the cigars smoking?

If they are fine then I would suspect the hygrometer accuracy and not really worry.

Did you season the humi properly before inserting the cigars? Did it get to the desired RH at that time?

I don't know where you live, is it heating season? Your house may be dry, most houses are in winter. You may need to add more beads.

Just a couple of things to consider.

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Viper139 said:
Seriously, have you verified the accuracy of your hygrometer.

Good advice. It seems to be common for hygrometers to be off up to 10%. A 100 count can get by with 3 or 4 oz. of beads easy. And that's without a credo. So if you keep hitting the credo with water, the beads are probably saturated. Actual RH is probably more like 70%. Just a guess. :smt102

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I agree, heating the house (esp. forced air) leads to dryness, and depending on your seal (another factor entirely) could be sucking out the moisture BUT...

if you add water to the credo, and it's not at 64-65% after an hour... then i'd suspect the hygrometer.

of course, you need to remember, thats not a glass-top humidor, thus opening it alone in order to check... removes a bunch of moisture. I'd suggest getting a Little Havana hygrometer, since results with them seem good and are pretty well recommended for accuracy...

I've had to add alot of water to my beads in order to keep the humidity up, since the sub-zero weather kicked in... but as long as the water is available, it should be holding steady.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have the same problems with my 100ct since the weather changed. Even with a great seal, mine tries to hover around 62 lately. I just have to really watch how many times i open it up and for how long. I do have a little better luck holding 64% when I run my room humidifier.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my desktop humi. The credo doesn't seem to do too much. I had beads in there for a while but the container I was using made it difficult to fit cigars in around it and I was still having the same problem with RH. So I took them out and have been keeping a very small piece of paper towel (1"x2"+-) moistened with distilled water hanging over the wood divider but not touching the cigars. That seems to be working OK for now but I have to rewet it nearly every day. I'm gonna try one of Heartfelts tubes soon and see how that works.
My house is really dry since I heat with a woodstove and the problem started with the heating season.
I've also tightened up the seal on the box with strips of cedar from a CAO Black glued to the edges of the beveled lip on the edge of the lid.

eric_f

Semper Fi!
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for all the help, guys. I may just have to move stuff to the coolers for the winter, or at least until I can beat this problem. ;) TexasCop gave me a tip that was to put the credo in the BOTTOM of the unit. I'm seeing if that helps.

Take Care,

Eric