What's new

Diamond Crown Maximus Churchill

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
This came over in a large trade as an extra and sat quietly in a singles drawer for approximately two (2) months. Last night I discovered it and decided to give it a try. As I am recovering from a cold, my tastes may be off somewhat ...

This is a nice appearing cigar, though it is not made, seemingly, with the care of some of Fuente/Newman's other "high end" products. By that I mean only that there are some slight irregularities in the finish. The band is best described as "ornate," and sets the cigar off nicely.

Construction was solid, with no soft spots, and the cigar cut and lighted nicely.

I expected the taste to be similar to other Diamond Crowns I have smoked, but it is not. I find other DC's almost mild, though very nice in flavor. The Maximus is, at the least, a medium bodied cigar, tending toward the full, and seemed slightly harsh at first (perhaps due to my head cold issues). The taste settled down quickly, though, and is better than average, though not exceptional. The finish is also pleasant, but leaves you with the sense that there should be something more ... :???:

Approximately 2/3 of the way down, it began to grow harsh and bitter. This, however, I am certain was due to my cold and not the cigar itself. At approximately the 3/4 point I gracefully extinguished it and saved the band.

Overall, I got the sense that an equivalent smoke could be had from a much less expensive cigar - within the Fuente line, a Double Chateau Maduro is very close at about 40% of the MSRP. Perhaps you know what I mean - an OK smoke that is acceptable but certainly not exciting.

Here are the numbers, skewed by my medical condition ...

Appearance: 9/10
Construction: 8/10
Flavor: 16/20
Finish: 7/10
Smoking experience: 16/20
Aroma: 8/10
Overall impression: 16/20

Total: 80/100

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Because of a long and drawn out ordeal I've had with Fuente/Newmann over the past year, a few months back they sent me a rather nice care package as an 'apology' for what I had gone through. In it were a number of special release sticks along with many of Fuente's top eschelon cigars. The Maximus DblCorona's were among the bounty I received. I had smoked them before this, and was not very impressed, but these were something else. Like many domestics, I believe the DiaCrowns suffer from either huge sick periods, or amazing variances in their quality. These sticks I received from them were so good infact, that I would suggest buying Maximus from time to time just on the slight chance you'll get one that is spot on. The price you'll pay in getting 3 or 4 OK sticks before getting 1 GREAT one will seem worth it if you regularly spend aprox. $10 on a single cigar.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I enjoy most of Fuentes products, but this was not one of them. Not a bad cigar, but just not different enough to make it worth the price or hype.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Totally disagree, I think they are On the top 5 Diamond Crown Maximus Robuso.,
Consistent, always a great Maduro.
I'd like em to be less expensive but that's not in the cards.
Thus I just bite the bullet and enjoy them almost daily, ," imo " a easy 95 overall