What's new

Did my first roasts yesterday!

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I finally got my Toastess TCP-713 popper in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to start roasting.

I bought 4 lbs of beans from Sweet Marias and tested out my first batch with some Nicaraguan Diplito Cielo Azul. The roast took about 4 minutes to hit the first crack and about 6 to the second crack. Once the second crack began I pulled the beans and cooled them off. Looks like I ended up with a roast between a Vienna and French Roast.

My second batch was an espresso blend that I ended up doing a Full City/Full City+ roast on.

I'll let you know how they are tomorrow when they are ready.

Attachments

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, good for you! just, please, DON"T change your screen name to "java" anything, people already have a hard enough time teling kevin and myself apart. o)

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Ah man, I am jealous. Looks awesome,and I can't wait to find out ho w they taste. Was that an airpopper you used to roast the beans?

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Congrats, Ryan. The first roast looks a little too dark to me, but if that's how you like it, then it's perfect. ;). When roasting that dark, you'll miss quite a bit of the "varietal character" of the coffee & really only taste the "roast character" if that makes sense. The second roast looks like perfect City+/Full City to me.

Try to extend the time between 1st & 2nd, then pull right before 2nd starts. Storage & rest are critical too...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Let me preface with I own a French press and a coffe grinder. That is how I make coffee so I agree with what java said but. I do know that they make k-cups that you can put your own ground coffee into so if you wanted to do that it would be an option tho IMHO not the best one.

But how do you fit them into one of these?

:bouncetau:tongueout

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Congrats, Ryan. The first roast looks a little too dark to me, but if that's how you like it, then it's perfect. ;). When roasting that dark, you'll miss quite a bit of the "varietal character" of the coffee & really only taste the "roast character" if that makes sense. The second roast looks like perfect City+/Full City to me.

Try to extend the time between 1st & 2nd, then pull right before 2nd starts. Storage & rest are critical too...
Yeah, tried the first one today after 48 hours of rest and it was definitely a little too dark. It made an excellent espresso, but in the Aeropress I was just tasting the roasty flavors. The blend I did the fullcity + roast on made a great cup in the Aeropress. I did a Rwandan Jomba Vunga today with a very similar roast. The aroma off of the beans after 2 hours was sweet cinnamon apples. So I am pretty excited about those. I also did a Brazilian Yellow Bourbon in a Vienna roast last night and those are looking pretty solid. Might have done those a tad too dark as well. We'll see, I'm gonna try 'em in the morning.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
That Brazil should be excellent as a SO espresso. Most great espresso blends start with a Brazilian base. That Yellow Bourbon seed stock is bred specifically for espresso...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anybody know where I can buy this coffee? Brazil Joao de Campos Yellow Catuai....a good BOTL sent me some to try and I've finally gotten around to trying it and WOW...this is some incredible coffee and I'm trying to find a place that sells this. Would appreciate some info from the rest of you aficionados.