What's new

Different cigars for different occassions.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to get the swing of this cigar thing, and it isn't at all like I thought. I thought that basically, you smoked a bunch of cigars until you decided on one you like. Maybe at some future point, you might discover another.

But now I liken it to drinking. Not necessarily alcohol, but I think that the analogy is a good one. Sometimes I am in the mood for tea. Sometimes I want a coke or a root beer. Sometimes I want a good amber ale and once in a while I really enjoy a Guinness.

Same with cigars, though I don't have a finely tuned palate yet, I sometimes want a mild cigar and sometimes one that knocks my socks off.

So, what I want to do in this thread is to list a several situations and then ask what sort of cigars you enjoy for those situations. Keep in mind that not all of these situations will apply to you and some might not be realistic at all, depending on your personality.

So then, what cigar would you choose in the following situations:

1) Upon waking up

2) In the morning

3) In the evening

4) While driving

5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers

6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. This actually happened to me just the other day: "Sure you can smoke in here" (five minutes later) "I'm sorry, but that really stinks"

7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.)

8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars)

Please add other situations that you can think of (if the world was ending tomorrow, if Darth Vader came for a visit, or what have you)

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What?

I thought that was the whole reason for smoking was to impress and look cool.

Crap now I have to find something else.
I'm in the same boat. I make every decision based on what others will think of me. Maybe we can start drinking scotch Texasmoke? I don't think anyone has thought of that yet!

:rofl:

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So then, what cigar would you choose in the following situations:
1) Upon waking up - NOTHING

2) In the morning - NOTHING

3) In the evening - Just about anything in my humidor

4) While driving - NOTHING

5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers - NOTHING

6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. This actually happened to me just the other day: "Sure you can smoke in here" (five minutes later) "I'm sorry, but that really stinks" - NOTHING

7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.) - Just about anything in my humidor

8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars) - NOTHING

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the morning it's usually something light and mild. Something that goes good with coffee.
Afternoon it's a tossup - but usually something shorter that can be finished in less than an hour.
In the evenings it's usually something strong. I love drinking wine when I smoke at night, so something that goes well with wine.
When I'm driving in the car I have a ton of tin smokes that take me about 15 minutes to smoke.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
Which Fuente?
*Notes*
9 out of 10 time all of these will be Sun Grown or Maduro.
I reserve the right to inter mix this list at any time.

1) Opus just to get me going. lol
2) 858 or short Story
2.b.) Afternoon - Maybe a Don Carlos
3) Hemingway untold story
4) favorite driving smoke would have to be the Canones. MMMMmmmm
5) Cubanitos Tin or the Exquisitos
6) Any (Double Chateau SG., Royal Salute, Spanish Lonsdale, Cuban Belicoso, ....)
7) N/A - Anyone who knows me will tell you that I don’t save for special occasions. We have a running joke about this at the smoke shop. I once told Bill (Shadow on most boards) that my dying though wont be "Man, I wish I had smoked ...Insert name of cigar here..., it will be Ha Ha Ha bill isn't going to be smoking ....Insert name of cigar here....." Now, don't get me wrong, I wont smoke a '70 Partagas on the way to work (all though, I did smoke one sitting at the airport waiting on flight once) . But when I have time to enjoy it, it's smoke.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which Fuente?
I prefer maduros in the Chateau Fuente line (Chateau, Double Chateau, Royal Salute, Cuban Belicoso --- the ones with the cedar sleeves). I pick the size to match the amount of time I have. I also like 8-5-8's in any of the wrappers that are available.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
1) Upon waking up- something mild.

Perdomo Champagne, RyJ Bully, Diplomaticos #4(CC)

2) In the morning/afternoon-

Same list as 1. Also, maybe a VSG for morning. Afternoon is anything from medium to Full. Padron, Fuente, etc.

3) In the evening-

Full bodied

4) While driving-

nothing too complex, with a solid ash. Nothing expensive. Maybe AF Chateau SG, or RyJ, or a CAO, Padron x000.

5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers-

any of the tinned versions of the big boys (Padron, Fuente, CAO) or a good Petite Corona in whatever brand you like.

6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. This actually happened to me just the other day: "Sure you can smoke in here" (five minutes later) "I'm sorry, but that really stinks"-

screw em. Smoke what you like. Get some John T crowd pleasers or flavored smokes if you care.

7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.)

Anything over 15 dollars. For me it's Padron Anni, the fancy Fuente (forbidden x, anjeo, bbmf, etc), Graycliff, Limited Edition CCs.

8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars)

Same list as 7, or something cheap that tastes like an expensive cigar to show them you have some skills in shopping. (Padron 3000, 5 Vegas A, etc)

All in all though, I smoke what I feel like. If I'm going to be smoking only one cigar or maybe two all day, I'll reach for anything at anytime. If I'm going to have one in the morning, one in the afternoon, then later at night, I'll try to go from mildest to fullest in whatever sticks I choose. I always enjoy Fuente, Padron, and some CCs- Partagas, Diplomaticos, Cohiba, anytime of day.

I think the only one you have to worry about is the driving one. It's the only time you might get hurt smoking the wrong cigar!

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
1) Upon waking up - too early

2) In the morning - depends on if it's a champagne or bloody mary morning. i either case, yes!

3) In the evening - depends on if it's a beer, bourbon, or both evening, in either case, yes!

4) While driving - i really like the AF dbl chateau maduro for driving long distances

5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers - i hate cigarette smoke. as for a small smoke, love the cuba aliados petit cetro madurro.

6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. This actually happened to me just the other day: "Sure you can smoke in here" (five minutes later) "I'm sorry, but that really stinks" - my $HI+ don't stink!

7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.) - AF maddie, opus,,,

8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars) - Big Butt

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1) Upon waking up Joya de Nicaragua Antano (yes, really... no, I don't find it too full for me, and yes, I do sip it while chugging coffee...)
2) In the morning See above
3) In the evening Whatever is out of the humi and lit... this is where I try new things
4) While driving Good ash-clinger (I said ash with an H): Saint Luis Rey Serie G (mad - they aparently now have a natural serie G) toro, or else an AF cuban beli or something like that... black band, torp/ beli- like shape...
5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers While I rarely do hang with the cigarette smokers, my "fast" smokes are really "normal" smokes that I just happen to enjoy the taste of when burning hotter than intended: the Cusano 10 Crown Corona, Griffin's Fuerte Short Corona, La Libertad demi corona, Puros Indios Maxima Reserve media corona, Oliva serie O #4, etc etc etc
6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. If you find one that pleases me and the Smoke Nazis, let me know...
7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.) What's that, birthdays divisible by 1/365th of a year? Seriously, Pad Anni 64's or Diamond Crown Maximus' as of now, though I'm looking for suggestions for when I get this <expletive> thesis done... or when the wife hands me a baby rattle and smiles... I'm thinking that the two Opus x's that are aging in the coolerdor are somewhere in there, though if a baby's on the way, I may want something much stronger :wink:
8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars) Swisher sweets... or White Owl Pineapple :laugh: I don't smoke to impress, so this is irrelevant
Wow, what a long post... tidying up may clutter it up, but I'll try here...
Just my 2 cents,
ZugbugPete

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
1) Upon waking up?
Macanudo. If you really want a cigar in the morning, I would choose a portofino.

2) In the morning?
Morning times are usually kinda hectic for me so I would have to go with a bundled cigar like a conasuerga or something cheap.

3) In the evening?
Evenings are to variable to nail down one type/brand of cigar but I usually prefer a nice robusto or a corona gorda. The marque would really have to be based on the day though.

4) While driving?
I have short trips and like to have a TPC, Demitasse, or a club while driving.

5) A smoke that doesn't take too long, so you can hang out with the cigarette smokers?
Club or Demitasse. What's funny is that the smokers will probably get on your ass for smoking a cigar the same way a non smokers gets on a smokers ass LOL!

6) A smoke that doesn't smell too bad (to non-BOTL or SOTL) so that people don't complain about the smell after telling you it's ok if you smoke. This actually happened to me just the other day: "Sure you can smoke in here" (five minutes later) "I'm sorry, but that really stinks"
I don't think there is one to be honest.

7) A smoke that you keep for special occasions (graduations, significant birthdays that are divisible by ten, etc.)?
I smoked gifted cigars for special occasions. It helps bring a special occasion to a high note when I can bring along another brother in spirit.

8) A cigar you would smoke if you really wanted to impress someone (who knows cigars)?
I don't smoke to impress, but I have smoked to annoy. That's really the only reason I have ever owned any Lars Tetens.

Please add other situations that you can think of (if the world was ending tomorrow, if Darth Vader came for a visit, or what have you)