thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I would say you are better off buying a good quality hygro. They don't really go bad. I have this one. Oregon Scientific also makes ones that are remote.

I've heard radioshack stopped making those but I think I am wrong. Someone else will be able to confirm. Many guys love the RS unit.

I actually have three in my cooler (two LH and one OS). This is just because I consolidated from desktops to a cooler.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you should be fine with that hygrometer. Get a Boveda pak to calibrate the hygro, and you will be set.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Radio Shack's here have a new, smaller wireless hygro set now.

Any digital will do so long as you test as Ron suggests to verify its accuracy.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I wanted to expand on my above post. I have owned a lot of hygrometers that cost anywhere from $20 - $300. There was very little difference in accuracy between them all. The companies had accuracy claims, but it was all BS. The only truly accurate hygrometer that you can verify and recalibrate is the Extech recalibratable hygrometer with the salt test kit. This is the best hygrometer that you can buy. At $100, I consider it a bargain. There is no arguing with its accuracy, it gives amazing, scientifically accurate results. However, it has short battery life, so it can really only be used to check other hygrometers. The $4 option is to use a Boveda pack to check your cheapo hygrometers. I use the Boveda, along with the Extech to check the accuracy of the Avallo Accumonitors that I sell.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You'll be fine with just about any digital so long as you do as is recommended above. That being said, I suggest the Oregon Scientific or like Remote unit. The OS can be had for $30 for the base and one remote unit at Target most days.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Jwrussell said:
You'll be fine with just about any digital so long as you do as is recommended above. That being said, I suggest the Oregon Scientific or like Remote unit. The OS can be had for $30 for the base and one remote unit at Target most days.
I got mine at target.

Thanks for the heads up on the sponsor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having tried several different digital hyrometers, including the cigar-shaped one, and the credit-card size one, the most accurate I've found to date is the Western Caliber III that you can find on ebay for around $20 each...I've tested all of them with the Boveda hygrometer calibration kit (also on ebay for $3-4 each) and found the Western C3 to be accurate within 1-2% RH consistently...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
RonC said:
I like to use the 65% Boveda for calibration because thats exactly where I keep my smokes at.
How long do those bags last for? About 3-6 months? :scratchhe

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
an airtight,small environment will make them last a long time. Cooler is big, and seals well, but probably not airtight. I store mine in airtight kitchen canisters and airtight travel humis.