Diplomaticos (Pyramide)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Brand: Diplomaticos (Habano)
Name: Diplomaticos #2
Size: 6 1/2 x 52
Type: natural
Shape: Piramide

First impression/first draw: Medium brown wrapper with hints of leather and coffee to the nose. Too bad this stick had some wrapper damage from shipping. Not enough to toss it but enough that it would be smoked sooner than later. Excellent construction with a firm draw and packed filler. The first taste is a bit woodsy with a slight saltiness to the lips.

Cut: straight cut, clean with no leftover to be spat out

First 3rd: The draw on this stick is hard, almost disparaging but the initial flavored are motivation to continue on. The saltiness from the wrapper is like that from pretzels, and the palette is getting a good amount of savory spices, sweet woodsiness and a touch of leather. Interesting combo.
The burn is average with a slight off due to a hard light in one spot but seems to be correcting itself. Smoke at rest is minimal and smoke on the draw is medium to medium light. You won't be blowing smoke rings with this one. Your check will be achy from the draw.
The ash seems to be a grey/white and seems to be tight but does exhibit some fly away ash as it forms.
As I put much effort into every draw I am now being rewarded by an almond flavor accompanied by a sweet smokiness and I think hints of coffee are starting to present. This is making the excruciatingly hard draw worth the effort. The breeze is strong but what little aroma I am getting from the smoke is pleasing.
As I near the end of the first third the burn has corrected itself after a rocky start. It's not a laser line burn but it's good enough. The ash is still holding at over an inch with no sag or heavy cracking even after a couple of quick movements brought in by the continued visits of local bees and wasps. Flavor is holding steady with spicy, woodsy, coffee, almandine and a slight saltiness on the lips. The smoke is decent and the draw is either getting easier or I've lost all feeling in my cheeks at this point.

Second 3rd: I'm into the second third now and the draw has tightened up again. I don't know how that's possible but I'm sure there is a reason like tobacco expanding with heat or something. Aside from that the only other difference now is that I'm getting more pepper due to the drawing in of heat and the effect that has in the pallet. Ive slowed down a bit and heat is not the issue here, it's this concrete like draw.

Final 3rd: The draw is my focal point through this smoke. Maybe I'm being a shiner but holly smokes man, this should not be this much work!
This has been a consistent smoke through and through! Draw, flavors, burn (once it self corrected), aroma, ash, everything! I'm remembering back a few years to the last time I had a Diplomaticos and I do not remember it being this tough on the draw so I'm going to hope I just got a tight cigar.

How long did it take to smoke: 1:15-
Did you have to re-light and how often: no
What were you drinking with it: Hoegarrden Weiss Bier
Recommend: If you can get one of these I would say give it a try. The favors are awesome and worth the experience.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been looking at these and this convinces me to try... Hope the draw is a bit better, though. Thanks for the great review!

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Very nice review. I have only had one #2 and one #4, but so far it is one of my favortie habanos. Too bad they DCd almost the whole line.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I have a box of 2''s from 07 buried in the back. I've bombed a few but only smoked a couple. Looks like I may have smoke one tonight :)
Nice review.