What's new

Distilled water - hard to find and options

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Gents, we all know we are supposed to use distilled water in our humidors. I also use it in a CPAP machine and a home humidifier. I’ve noticed it’s pretty damn hard to find the last couple years so I’m considering a home distilled water maker.
Anyone do this and have recommendations? Units on Amazon run between $80-$180 or more.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea no shortage down here, it's normally stashed in the baby supplies area for some reason. I know the better cigar shops use an ion-filter type system rather then distilled water

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’d highly recommend getting an RODI machine. Much better then distilled. Most units would probably be in the $150 range. Mine was close to $500 but it’s for my coral business and is 7 stages due to very high tds in my horrible tap water and makes 200 gallons per day.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
My wife and I both have CPAP machines so we do use a fair amount of distilled water. With empty shelves more prevalent lately, I have seen sporadic shortages but I have always been able to find it when needed. We usually keep 4-5 gallons on hand at any one time. I know that some people will also use it for making coffee, but my reverse osmosis system takes care of our needs on that front.

Given that it is generally less than $1 a gallon and I am still able to find it locally, I guess I would be hesitant to drop the cash on a machine for my home. If I do the math, I'm thinking the machine would probably pay for itself over the course of 3-4 years but the low cost and convenience of simply buying it at Walmart overrules that. Plus, it would also mean that I would need to find the space on my kitchen counter for yet another appliance so in the end I think I would pass.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
My wife and I both have CPAP machines so we do use a fair amount of distilled water. With empty shelves more prevalent lately, I have seen sporadic shortages but I have always been able to find it when needed. We usually keep 4-5 gallons on hand at any one time. I know that some people will also use it for making coffee, but my reverse osmosis system takes care of our needs on that front.

Given that it is generally less than $1 a gallon and I am still able to find it locally, I guess I would be hesitant to drop the cash on a machine for my home. If I do the math, I'm thinking the machine would probably pay for itself over the course of 3-4 years but the low cost and convenience of simply buying it at Walmart overrules that. Plus, it would also mean that I would need to find the space on my kitchen counter for yet another appliance so in the end I think I would pass.
I also keep about 4 gallons on hand. Start looking for more when Im down to 2. I finally found a couple gallons on the shelf yesterday and bought both. It was the fourth store I went to. I was down to less than half a gallon and needed to refill my humidor.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I’d highly recommend getting an RODI machine. Much better then distilled. Most units would probably be in the $150 range. Mine was close to $500 but it’s for my coral business and is 7 stages due to very high tds in my horrible tap water and makes 200 gallons per day.
Thanks for the rec! Ill check them out.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Cheapness is a sickness...
I get mine free from a high school down the street.
Any learning institution with a chem lab will have a distillery that is run 24/7 producing clean inert water for experiments.
If you feel weird going this route, just pore over your 1040 and see what you paid in property taxes. That's a shit load of water!