What's new

Do all machine rolled smokes erm... suck?

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I've got a handful of ummm, refugees, that are machine made. I've been told they are supposed to be ok.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Machine rolled cigars are still the biggest sellers worldwide - so somebody must like 'em. I started with Swishers and Backwoods and thought they were good at the time. But after I started smoking the 100% hand rolled stuff, I have not gone back.

Still, there are some decent + cheap hand rolled cigars out there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from Swisher Sweets when I was in high school, I don't think I have ever had a machine rolled cigar.

Well, there was the one time last year my neighbor gave me some swisher sweets because he knew I smoked cigars, but I don't count that one....

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have smoked several imported machine made cigars that are quite tasty. Admittedly, they are often UGLY as SIN compared to a quality handrolled cigar, but taste wise they can be very good.

You might look into some machine bunched / hand finished sticks...cheaper, but not embarrassingly grotesque. :pokemyeye

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The common misconception is that if it's machine rolled, it must be terrible. That's like saying all wine with screw-tops are bad. Definitely not so.

There are some great ISOMs that are machine made which taste great. Also, Drew Estate has some great machine mades with their LVH lines (Not all of them are, but some are). Also, you have to distinguish between completelly machine made, or partially machine made. Some cigars are bunched by machine then the wrapper is placed by hand.

Another thing to remember is that smaller smokes (like tins and such) are usually machine made. But they can be very good.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Have you ever heard of any machine rolled cigars that aren't horrible? Maybe a good smoke for walking the dog.
I have several boxes of M/M cigars and they are good cigars. I'm not going to pack them up in the otterbox and take to the next herf, but for around the house and doing yardwork they hit the spot.

Padron used to have the Fumas, which were absolutely the best "cheap cigar" out there. I don't remember if it was a M/M or not but I do know that it was made from clippings off the rolling tables. That's not always going to be the case with M/M cigars or Mixed filler cigars. LVH Fumas are great cigars for the price ( I remember seeing them for as low as $19/box) but there is a heap of crap out there that isn't worth trying.

If you're just a casual smoker I would suggest staying away from them...you're not going to be impressed at all.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
IMO, there's nothing wrong with many MM cigars. Some really are bad. Just like any cigar, try different ones until you find some you like, and as long as you go in not expecting too much, you might be surprised. As stated, for an everyday or yard smoke, I don't mind 'em.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Hmmm. After extensive research :agreesmil , I came to the conclusion it was like looking for the great $1.00 cigar. Smoked many OK or good ones but no great ones. To me its like the Miller thread. Miller, Bud, Pabst etc are OK beers but why not have a great one? Same with cigars. 2 cents.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
gotta go with CWS on this one. only exception i have is comparing them to screw top wines...not the same because screw tops actually preserve wine better and result in fewer corked bottles so there's a bit of a difference in the comparison, screw tops are not an inferior manufacturing aspect.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
gotta go with CWS on this one. only exception i have is comparing them to screw top wines...not the same because screw tops actually preserve wine better and result in fewer corked bottles so there's a bit of a difference in the comparison, screw tops are not an inferior manufacturing aspect.
How about boxed wine then?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i know several folk who like the AF curly heads. not much a fan.... or is that short filler, not machine made?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quintero Brevas (CC) and the Jose L Piedra (CC) line are very good tasting and very cheap. They do not however develop any flavours when you smoke them.

When I want an easy smoke I grab one of those. At around 1.50USD/stick, for the flavor they deliver it is really hard to resist.

The craftsmanship aspect is ofcourse missing, which for some is an obstacle they can not overcome and I can't blame them.

If I had more money I wouldn't touch them. But what can you do :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quinteros are a perfect example. I think they are highly underrated cigars - taste great and are a great price. Nothing too fancy, but wonderful when you want that Cuban bite.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some MM ISOM's that are decent, including some of the smaller RyJ's, IIRC.

RE: AF Curlyheads, they are mixed filler, but hand made.

Personally, I think there is nothing better than a nice, grape Phillies blunt! :headroll: :headroll: :headroll: :eyebrow: