What's new

Do good red wines fall into a minimum price range?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wife has had me drinking a lot of wine the last 18 months or so and I'm curios if you expect to pay a minimum price for a good red. I think it is very hard to find a good red for under $25. On the other end I think once the wine gets over maybe $50 or $60 there is something besides flavor and complexity driving the price.

Do the wines you typically buy fall into a price range?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think $10 can get you a good red! Most of what we stock is in the $10-$12 range for wine night and random glasses with meals/friends. It's not going to be anything super fancy or that you can really "cellar", but you can definitely pick up good stuff in that range. I see $25 as the starting point for "REALLY good" reds. I rarely buy Bordeauxs...have 2 of them aging in the wine fridge...but for those I use a $50 minimum.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@Texican

So maybe $25 for something you and wifey will sit and enjoy together. We have tried quite a few lower priced wines but we never seem to be able to finish the bottle and the rest of it ends up by the stove.
That is definitely a risk when you go $10 and under. We tend to try our luck until we find sleepers and then buy those over and over. BV Coastal Estates makes a great Pinot Noir for under $10. And Fog Bank Pinot Noir is delicious for around the same price.

Hah...we definitely tried several screwtops for under $7 or so that were an immediate "Hell no". :ROFLMAO:

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I agree with Tex. I grew up making wine in the Dry Creek/Russian River Valley/Alexander Valley(Northern CA) and you can buy great wine from that region(the only wine I buy) for $10-15. The guy that bought my Grandfathers vineyards sells his wine for $200-400+ a bottle and I don't find it that drastically different.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you can get a nice bottle under 20.00 easily.

And, the secret is to decant your bottle a day or more before drinking.

The rowdiest Sangiovese or Rhone will benefit from this.

Try this: decant four hours before dinner, and drink just half the bottle.

try the rest the next night ,or even the next.

wine will last several days in a decanter.

White wines under 13% will be a bit sweeter than 13.5 and up.

even reds like a slight chill, don't overchill whites.

Spain offers some real goodies for the $$$, Chile and Argentina too.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree with Tex. I grew up making wine in the Dry Creek/Russian River Valley/Alexander Valley(Northern CA) and you can buy great wine from that region(the only wine I buy) for $10-15. The guy that bought my Grandfathers vineyards sells his wine for $200-400+ a bottle and I don't find it that drastically different.
Well dang! Now I know who to harass with wine questions. Generally speaking, is there a varietal/region that is usually a "safe bet"?

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well dang! Now I know who to harass with wine questions. Generally speaking, is there a varietal/region that is usually a "safe bet"?
If the label says Dry Creek, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, Geyserville, Kenwood, or Sonoma I buy it. Usually the brands I grew up knowing, but there's so many new wineries, I try to give them all a chance.

Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc and Gewurztraminer I pretty much buy strictly from Dry Creek, Russian River Valley, and Alexander Valley. The climate for Zinfandel grapes is especially prime in this region imho and based on my Grandfathers and countless Italians opinions. Hot days, foggy nights.

Merlot's, Pinot's, and Chardonnay's etc... I'll go with any of the above regions.

I hope I answered your question. I am no wine guru. I just know what I was taught.

Last edited:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If the label says Dry Creek, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, Geyserville, Kenwood, or Sonoma I buy it. Usually the brands I grew up knowing, but there's so many new wineries, I try to give them all a chance.

Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc and Gewurztraminer I pretty much buy strictly from Dry Creek, Russian River Valley, and Alexander Valley. The climate for Zinfandel grapes is especially prime in this region imho and based on my Grandfathers and countless Italians opinions. Hot days, foggy nights.

Merlot's, Pinot's, and Chardonnay's etc... I'll go with any of the above regions.

I hope I answered your question right. I am no wine guru. I just know what I was taught.
Thank you!!! Will reference this for my next wine purchase!

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Wine from Lodi and Paso Robles are generally good as well. I tend to stay away from Napa and Sonoma wines as you are usually paying a premium for the name of the region alone. I buy a lot of wine (and have a couple club memberships) with wineries in the FairPlay / Mount Aukum area near El Dorado hills in CA. They are always good, always under $20 if you buy a case, and they always take care of you when you go there. Murphy's, CA has some nice wines as well.

highsierrasmokin'

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Crazy talk right there! I just bought this bottle of FF Coppola(from Geyserville) for $10.99! You can buy wines at all price ranges from any of the regions mentioned above. Even Lodi.
Just remember what the Italiano's always told me...Hot Days, foggy nights. Just like Italy. There's no foggy nights in El Dorado Hills. Probably great wine though??? You guys will see what I'm saying about price when you start shopping around. You can get $8 - 100+ dollar bottles from all these regions.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
If you look great cheap Zinfandels then try Bogle's Old Vine Zin. You can get it anywhere from $9-$15 and it is always a great bottle. In fact that one is what got me into wine many years ago. There is also another Zin out there called Cigar Zin which is tasty.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have not much say BUT since I’m not far from multiple vineyards here on Long Island and the “east end wine country” we can find bottles as cheap as $7 and some to “cellar” so to speak starting at minimum $25. All depends on the type of wine you’re into. I actually have a few bottles from the 2017 vintage (I think?) of a blueberry port wine that was a phenomenal crop year and is rumored to cellar really good. I have yet to even touch these bottles.