What's new

Do the HEPA filters work for removing cigar smoke?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I intend to refit a workout room to be both a workout and cigar room. It's 10 x 30 with separate heating and cooling, not attached to the house. My question is to those that have experience with using filters, do they work?

I'd prefer not to vent the smoke outside to retain heating and cooling. I don't see anymore then one or two of us smoking in there at anytime.

I guess it would be feasible to put a small duct with fan by the smoking table to catch a good bit of the smoke but I don't mind a bit of smokey ambiance to save on cooling costs.

Thanks, I'd hate to spend $400 on a Rabbit Air and not be able to use the room after two hours of smoking.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
From my experience, they work but not well enough. I'd go with a fan to remove the smoke. I do it in my garage every winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My problem is the heat of summer, I'd like to keep the cool in the room instead of venting it outside. I currently sit on the porch and between the heat and mosquitoes it can get pretty uncomfortable. If the filters can't keep up with the smoke then I'll save the money and just do what I'm currently doing.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My problem is the heat of summer, I'd like to keep the cool in the room instead of venting it outside. I currently sit on the porch and between the heat and mosquitoes it can get pretty uncomfortable. If the filters can't keep up with the smoke then I'll save the money and just do what I'm currently doing.
You must live in the south. I have the same concern with building something myself.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I go any further south I get my feet wet. Southeast Louisiana. Not too bad during the winter normally but this time of year can be pretty rough. Why don't you go ahead and do the build out and let me know what mistakes not to make!!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ozone air purifier I heard work, but they don't remove smoke quickly. I think.

I guess you should not be in the room when they are running for extended times. Where they really shine is letting them run overnight in the room were you are smoking. The next morning all traces of the smell are pretty much gone. I still have mine and use it to remove smells on occasion. My used 4Runner smelled like wet dogs when I bought it so I left the ozone machine run in the truck for a few days and have never smelled the dogs again.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Just put corn starch in yr shortz.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You guys are a riot.

I'll try to get in touch with a company rep for some idea of what to expect. I just want to keep the room clear enough that I can smoke and not choke. If it means a larger unit or multiple units I'd like to know before I start passing out the credit card. I think the units have an ozone generator that you run when the room is vacant.

If I get any relevant information I'll post up because I see lots of you building cigar dens.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Had a chat with customer service at Rabbit Air and they assured me that their air purifiers will work for cigar smoke. For cigar smoke they recommend determining the sqft of the room and then doubling it. Use this inflated number to select the properly sized air purifier. You should also select the odor elimination filter option. Placing the unit near and slightly above the source of the smoke helps to capture the smoke and prevents it from accumulating in the room.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
And I own the 580? ( the big wall unit) and I'll tell you good luck.....

Good thing it's a back up to a 1200cfm eductor fan....