What's new

Do You Ever Feel Like You Have Outgrown Your B&M

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Today, I stopped into one of what I used to see as my "go to" B&M's, I perused the shelves and walked out having purchased only a large Humidipak. While some of the guys there are "my guys", the shop itself has not evolved with my tastes. Sure they stock some Padrons, a pretty good sampling of Tats, Illusiones, and LFD along with pipe tobacco. But, their reluctance to branch out and try some of the newer brands which I am finding myself drawn to has me looking for another "go to" B&M, especially with College Football and the NFL about to kickoff.

So, am I alone here or, have others experienced this?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Not alone. There are a couple shops where I used to live (San Diego) that would not rotate in new brands very often. Then again, I was there 2-3 times a month. Depends on your frequency I suppose. There is a shop where I live now (Seattle) that has a lot of new brands almost ROTT. That is great too, I can try new things while going to the solid standards. I think it depends on ownership, and the various cigar reps that want their product there. As long as you are having a great time!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
You might just want to reach out and talk to an owner or manager about new brands. I would think any half way decent place would be at least receptive to that. Not every place out there is aware of the newer and/or up and coming brands. You could always give a cigar from a brand you enjoy to someone with purchasing power and see what they say.
Either way, you could certainly do worse than a place with Padron, Tat and Illusione tho. If the place is nice, has solid management, good company around, decent pricing and knowledgeable staff you might not just want to write the place off entirely. That's just me.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
As per the prior comment, you're not alone.

My "go to" B&M was also a place that I rented a locker from. While they have a large selection of smokes most of the 'new' stuff that's brought in is just not good! I am discovering there are several other B&M's (large and small) within my MSA that actually bring in a better selection of cigars OR have cigars which I prefer. This is not saying that my "go to" B&M is a bad place but I really doubt I'll continue to shop there.

You might just want to reach out and talk to an owner or manager about new brands. I would think any half way decent place would be at least receptive to that. Not every place out there is aware of the newer and/or up and coming brands.
Sometimes (in the case of my B&M) the owner brings in what he can get a deal on--not necessarily something that's highly rated or has a lot of buzz surrounding it. I also get that they're not going to carry certain brands may just not move well at the store.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Sounds like my B&M. Sometimes I feel bad because I don't buy much from them other than CH. I do rent a locker and bring my own sticks so I still smoke what I want and hang with a good group of guys . The problem we have is the tax is so high most of the new sticks would never sell for what they need to charge so the manager is reluctant to bring them in.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Love my b&m now that iv found one I like. But I agree been going there for 6 months or so and not a single new cigar. Can't blame them though, it's a business and they now what sells. They have though told me they take any and every request even it's just a small box they will try something new. They too are always looking for a new product people like.
Honestly I go still mostly cause I am new to the hobby and they have lots of information to help out. Plus when I have the time to sit down it's great company.
Figure if I want something different I'll try and find it online or on here.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You're not alone. I went religiously to a local cigar bar/lounge (mind you one of the last few around here on Long Island to actually smoke and drink in as a bar setting) and was disgusted with the "bartender" who chose 2 guys in the corner being obnoxious and flirty with her and forgot about everyone else in the lounge. Way before that, I recommended some cigars and asked if they'll ever be there at the shop. I get the "well the owner is set in his ways and whatever he has is it. I'm always trying to push new cigars and he just doesn't budge." Mind you I spoke to one of his most knowledgeable employees about it and that's what he told me. And was once very female friendly for the sisters of the leaf.

Well now, I split a locker with a buddy of mine at a new shop. It's a BYOB establishment. But the difference is they keep up with the new product but keep the others in stock too. And host special events with some of the big name companies. I enjoy it there. Just different since I never see any female clientele like I used to see at the other shop. Just the hostesses which I don't bother with since I'm more than capabale to get the ice for myself if I need for my drink.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved to my current burg, there was a 24/7/365 cigar/magazine shop about a mile from my pad. Over the three, almost four years I've been here, I've watched that shop go from being a vibrant tobacconist to now, where maybe a third or more of the boxes in the double humidor are EMPTY...and have been for almost a year. Clearly, the owner doesn't care...his employees don't care...and now...I don't care. He got into the 'vape' industry, opened up a shop for this down the mall, I think that's where his business interest lies now. Too bad. There are other cigar shops in town, but not another newsstand of this size...and oh yeah, he's let that slide big time too!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
About the only thing my local carries that interests me is Fuente stuff. They don't carry Padron, CH, Tatuaje, Ligas, etc. They do carry Camacho, Undercrown, LGC, Romeo, etc. which I have zero interest. They are the only shop around with the next closest being 70 miles away. Most of my purchases come from SmallBatch.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thinking more and more about it, while I love the BOTL's and SOTL's there, the fact that there are no Crowned Heads, Caldwells or Leaf by Oscar there is pissing me off. Don't get me wrong I abhor paying our exorbitant prices here in Cali and I love what some of the site sponsors here provide us, I would just love to drop in, peruse the sticks and spark one right out of the humi. Especially since we have a one stick minimum in order to smoke there.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I think a lot of shops have a hard time carrying stuff outside of the legacy brands for fear of sales being hit and miss on some of the newer brands.
Either way, you could certainly do worse than a place with Padron, Tat and Illusione tho. If the place is nice, has solid management, good company around, decent pricing and knowledgeable staff you might not just want to write the place off entirely. That's just me.
And I completely agree with this, I've supported a lot of places (not just cigar related) that may not have exactly what I like for those reasons alone.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
I think a lot of shops have a hard time carrying stuff outside of the legacy brands for fear of sales being hit and miss on some of the newer brands.

And I completely agree with this, I've supported a lot of places (not just cigar related) that may not have exactly what I like for those reasons alone.
@Craig Mac is absolutely right that it's difficult for a B&M owner to sometimes bring in new cigars. I've been around to a lot of stores, and have several friends who own stores, and they say there isn't a lot of benefit to them bringing in a new cigar. 1) It might not sell well 2) Shelf space can be hard to come by, and often at times space only opens up if the owner does a good job clearing out stuff that isn't selling. A good friend of mine has well over 1,000 facings, but about 20-30% of the facing have little to no movement. I tell him he should clear it out at 40% off, but he is reluctant to do that as he "doesn't want to leave money on the table". 3) Some stores have the same customers who only buy the same things, so there isn't much a reason to bring in something new as their customers may only smoke the same stuff everyday. Most cigar consumers do not keep up with the new cigars that coming out, and they first hear about them when they hit the selves rather than months before. 4) There are very few new brands or lines a store can bring in that will increase foot traffic.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Guys, thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I suppose I am as my wife is telling me, "on the rag". I am having a somewhat difficult time dealing with the fact that for the first time in over 30 years, we will have no one in this big house but us.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Most cigar consumers do not keep up with the new cigars that coming out, and they first hear about them when they hit the selves rather than months before. 4) There are very few new brands or lines a store can bring in that will increase foot traffic.
Yeah, I think we as forum members often overestimate our size. We have influence, as many of you have direct connections to folks in the industry, and we tend to be both more passionate and more vocal about our hobby; but in terms of our actual purchasing power, we don't equate to much. We probably all outspend the average consumer several times over, but we still are a relatively small portion of the cigar market.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Yeah, I think we as forum members often overestimate our size. We have influence, as many of you have direct connections to folks in the industry, and we tend to be both more passionate and more vocal about our hobby; but in terms of our actual purchasing power, we don't equate to much. We probably all outspend the average consumer several times over, but we still are a relatively small portion of the cigar market.
yep... just look at all the fucking 60, 70, 80 ring gauges

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
When I moved to my current burg, there was a 24/7/365 cigar/magazine shop about a mile from my pad. Over the three, almost four years I've been here, I've watched that shop go from being a vibrant tobacconist to now, where maybe a third or more of the boxes in the double humidor are EMPTY...and have been for almost a year. Clearly, the owner doesn't care...his employees don't care...and now...I don't care. He got into the 'vape' industry, opened up a shop for this down the mall, I think that's where his business interest lies now. Too bad. There are other cigar shops in town, but not another newsstand of this size...and oh yeah, he's let that slide big time too!
The margins on vape juice vs the margin on a premium cigar is so astronomically in favor of vape that it's ridiculous.

I can understand why people do it. Especially if they're not in it for the love of cigars.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't think I can outgrow my B&M. The selection is second to none. I do order on line occasionally if I lack the patience to wait for my B&M to get stock.

Last edited: