What's new

Do you Tubos?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings All,

I want to ask my fellow brethren a few questions concerning the tubos.

1. When purchasing cigars for long term aging does it matter for most of you if it comes in tubos and why?

2. From all of your experience with the tubos, how tightly or loosley, should I keep the cap on?
2.2. Is it possible that a tight cap can "hold" stale air in the tubos?

Thanks,

steelcitysmoker:guitar:

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Unless it's a permanently-sealed tubo (e.g., Gurkha's cognac wax-sealed ones and some of the Partagas crystal tubos), I usually unscrew the cap and let the cigar rest in its open-ended tube in my humidor. Granted I have a box of Don Diego tubos (price was right and they're a good moochgar) and I just leave those in the box with the caps on. They seem to smoke fine, too. I would think that it would be possible to hold stale air in the tube, although I have no evidence to back this up.
So I would recommend you just take the caps off your tubos unless they're flavored cigars or there's some special circumstance. Not sure what everybody else does, tho.

TYLER

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
some good info here. i always wondered about tubos too.
and btw, if a guy buys a box of tubos, do you still have to store them in a humidor or coolidor???

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
some good info here. i always wondered about tubos too.
and btw, if a guy buys a box of tubos, do you still have to store them in a humidor or coolidor???
Always store tubos in the humidor/coolador. The tubes aren't air tight even right from the factory, thats why whomever sold them to you kept them in a humidified enviroment. If you leave them out of a humidor they will dry out, a little slower than the non-tubos maybe but they will dry out (how fast depends on where you live of course).

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I may crack mine or leave off for a few days if the sticks seem wet upon arrival of a new box. Many vendors ship them over humidified to make sure they do not dry out during transit. Then I tighten them down and store them in the tubes in the box they came in. I make the cap regular hand tight, not too loose, and not torqued way down. The A/T (Aluminum Tube) is not air tight and are made that may mostly on purpose. Far as stale air, not sure about that question. Some of mine are more barnyard smell, which is what I am looking for. Barnyard = good cigars.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Always store tubos in the humidor/coolador. The tubes aren't air tight even right from the factory, thats why whomever sold them to you kept them in a humidified enviroment. If you leave them out of a humidor they will dry out, a little slower than the non-tubos maybe but they will dry out (how fast depends on where you live of course).
In your case...about 20 minutes. Right Ken? :rofl:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sealed. Don't open them if you can help yourself. With one caveat, check a few random tubes to make sure there is no mold. I've been hit by that before. Both Tubo and non-tubo have their own characteristics, but if you can stand to sit on a tubo for a few years, it's definatey worth it IMHO.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Guys,

It sounds to me like I'll be keepin' the caps on. One more question:

If you had your choice between purchasing tubos or not for aging what would you personally go with? Does the tubos really make that much of a difference?

SCSMKR

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Sealed. Don't open them if you can help yourself. With one caveat, check a few random tubes to make sure there is no mold. I've been hit by that before. Both Tubo and non-tubo have their own characteristics, but if you can stand to sit on a tubo for a few years, it's definatey worth it IMHO.
Actually, I use a variation of this method. I like to open the tubes, inspect the smokes and then let them sit for a couple of weeks (in the tube; cap off) in the humidor just to make sure they are not too "wet". Then I cap them up. I have never had one go moldy on me, even after a few years of aging.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Thanks Guys,

It sounds to me like I'll be keepin' the caps on. One more question:

If you had your choice between purchasing tubos or not for aging what would you personally go with? Does the tubos really make that much of a difference?

SCSMKR
There are several examples that are excellent to look at when assessing this question. Two that come to mind are the RyJ Churchill and the Upmann Monarch. To me, the versions that are in tubes that have been aged are much superior to the cigars from a dress box. I have had many of all of those, and I much prefer the tubos.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It doesn't matter much to me, but tubos are always great if you're looking into longterm storage. I say that simply because they don't offer as much air flow as if you bought a dress box or cab.