What's new

Does anyone dry their baccy in bulk?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So when I decide to smoke a bowl, I want to smoke pretty soon after that decision is made :)

What happens though, is I have to pick a baccy then let it sit out for an hour before I can load it and smoke it as all of my tobacco is way too moist out of the ball jar. I just decided to empty my entire 2 oz jar of MS River and lay it out on a paper towel to dry out for an hour or two then I'll put it back in the ball jar. That way next time I want MS River it'll be ready.

Is there something wrong with that thinking? Am I messing up the baccy in any way by doing this?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
well damn. all good. I let the entire jar sit out for 2 hours and it didnt do much in the way of drying. That MS river is pretty moist.
I really like that blend and will probably grab 8oz on my next order in a week or two :)

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
It may be heresy, but I get a bowls worth out on a paper towel and microwave it for 10-15 seconds, depending on how wet it is. Pull it out, and in a matter of 30 seconds after, it's dry enough to load the bowl and go. I've noticed no change in flavors doing this. Try it one time and see how it works for you

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Other than some flakes (most notably S&G blends) I rarely find it necessary to dry my tobacco at all.
Flakes are about all I have to dry. Mississippi River and Plum Pudding are the other two that come to mind. I dry them cause I think they smoke better. The last MS River I got was really moist.

When I have to dry something I prefer the paper plate and oven @150° for 3 min or so.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It may be heresy, but I get a bowls worth out on a paper towel and microwave it for 10-15 seconds, depending on how wet it is. Pull it out, and in a matter of 30 seconds after, it's dry enough to load the bowl and go. I've noticed no change in flavors doing this. Try it one time and see how it works for you
That is friggin BRILLIANT! Doing this tonight!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Flakes are about all I have to dry. Mississippi River and Plum Pudding are the other two that come to mind. I dry them cause I think they smoke better. The last MS River I got was really moist.

When I have to dry something I prefer the paper plate and oven @150° for 3 min or so.
That is brilliant too!

You guys are so smart :)

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
On top of the toaster oven will work in a pinch, but honestly a slow dry sitting out is most accurate, the oven and microwave can give you baccy crumbles/toast pretty quick
It sure can. You can make baccy dust in no time! This time of year is really rough. I can lay baccy out on the pool table to rehydrate it its so humid here.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have the opposite problem. My acoustic guitars and cigars are so tough to maintain here in CO. Even tougher in the winter. Ideal conditions for drying baccy on the countertop though :)

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right or wrong, I always dry my baccy out before it goes into the jars. I crafted small paper trays from 8x11 printer paper and typically dry for 24-48 hours until sufficient. From my experience the dryness improves the taste and saves me a ton of time having already pre-dried whatever I decide to smoke. Here's my current project, 2/5 tins of HH Vintage Syrian in the trays.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Right or wrong, I always dry my baccy out before it goes into the jars. I crafted small paper trays from 8x11 printer paper and typically dry for 24-48 hours until sufficient. From my experience the dryness improves the taste and saves me a ton of time having already pre-dried whatever I decide to smoke. Here's my current project, 2/5 tins of HH Vintage Syrian in the trays.

Wow I really like this!
Once it's jarred it won't get any drier so having it just ready to go is absolutely brilliant. I did sort of the same thing with my MS river, but it was just on a few paper towels.

I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks for posting this.

Doc Sixstring

Patience and practice
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I really like this!
Once it's jarred it won't get any drier so having it just ready to go is absolutely brilliant. I did sort of the same thing with my MS river, but it was just on a few paper towels.

I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks for posting this.
You're welcome. I feel like, through this method, I developed a better understanding of how dryness affects tobacco and my own preferences. Worst cast scenario and you dry it too much, there are many cheap and quick methods of rehydration.