What's new

Domestic Cigars for CC smokers

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I am sure is always discussed but the search function here is not all that great, so starting a thread:

As a CC smoker, starting out probably on domestic cigars, making the move to CC cigars is a whole nother world. Nothing really compares in regards to flavor. Plugged, inconsistencies and poor construction somehow don't matter all that much because when a Cuban cigar is on, there's nothing else quite like it. Plus the quality of CC has only gotten better this past decade.

What domestic cigars do CC diehards find themselves smoking these days? And how often do you weave in this non ISOM stick? Wondering what are your non CC cigars of choice.

Also are there any diehards out there who refuse to smoke anything other than a CC?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been partial to Don Carlos Robustos and #3. I never loved OpusX, they were just OK for me. Could never justify the price even when retailers were not allowed by Fuente to price gouge.

Before smoking CCs I was partial to Bahia, Avo, Puros Indios and the regular Padron line.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I love Padrons, 1926 #6 and 1964 Hermoso, in natural wrapper. These are nothing like a CC, and the flavor absolutely envelopes the palette. Not subtle, in other words.
Some of my favorites lately have been the Tatuaje Havana VI Hermoso, which I personally find very similar to a Juan Lopez #1, or a Short de Punch. That could just be me, but I definitely see the resemblance. Absolutely loving the Havana VI’s right now. Also, the Tatuaje Havana VI “Verocu” line, although entirely unlike a CC, has a great flavor and wicked punch. Both of these Tatuaje’s are doing it for me, while I let some of my CC’s lie dormant.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I have not found anything that is the same.

Curivari actually does come close with some blends.
Warped does a really good job of blending cigars in the medium bodied range, and I've really enjoyed Cloud Hopper, La Colmena, Guardian of the Farm Rambo (that vitola specifically), and a few others.
HVC 500th Anniversary
Cornelius & Anthony Cornelius
Foundation El Gueguense is one of the best blends to come out in the last five years, IMO.
And a lot of illusione. Epernay, ECCJ, and others.
One that totally shocked me was the Lost & Found Pepper Cream Soda toro - it was smooth and creamy and quite good.
Another is the AJ Fernandez Last Call - I've only smoked the tiny ones (chiquitas, I think?) but bought two boxes. Pepperbomb up front, but once it settles, its really a great little cigar. I'm hoping as they age, the pepper will subside a bit. I liked them enough to put two boxes down.

I will say, a lot of the blends that try to mimic the CC world try to do so with Ecuadorian Connie wrappers. EC has something I cant quite identify, maybe a sweetness bordering on bitterness, something akin to artificial sweetener, that throws me. Anything with a sumatra binder generally has too much syrup on the palate. I don't actually really like anything with it. Ecuadorian Habano, Corojo, and Criollo seem to generally be the wrappers I enjoy the most.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
A couple years ago I was still smoking about 98% CC. As access (things in stock) has slowed and prices have risen, I've become more experimental with the NCs and found quite a few I really enjoy. Illusione, Caldwell, Crowned Heads, Rojas are all new to me and now in my rotation. Still smoke about 80% CC, but that number will likely continue to decline unless prices somehow become more reasonable at some point.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Epernay
Tempus Quadrum
Papas Fritas
Oliva Protege

usually I will have one of the above once a week.

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Also are there any diehards out there who refuse to smoke anything other than a CC?
yep.jpg

Ok call me a elitist prick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I like what I like!
I the last time I smoked domestic on a reg. basis was early 2000's. I sampled some stuff here and there
but it's been over 10 years!
I started out like most on domestic's. I tried everything that scored a 90 or higher in Cigar Aficionado!
I settled on AF Hemingway's, Padron's, Opus X, then I fell in love with Cuban Cigars and fell hard!:love:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anything that uses Aganorsa tobacco. I only smoked CCs for 10 years, but Aganorsa made me enjoy NC again about four years ago, I actually wrote a review on here. Warped, Illusione, Vajie all use Aganorsa tobacco. Here is a cool but old article on their tobacco.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It wasn’t a review but a thread

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would also second Curivari. Seriously I never thought I’d find any NC enjoyable again. I still won’t smoke much of any NC that existed back then, but NCs have come a long way in the last 20 years. Five years ago I would have argued with the opinion that I now have, lol.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Unfortunately, it's apples to oranges. NC's and CC's are so different. There are really no "substitutes"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the Necro Thread but thanks. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Crawling out of the CC rabbit hole after smoking them pretty much exclusively for the last couple of years. Tired of the spiraling prices, lack of availability and the 24:24 bs. Still got a decent stash of CC's but for now I'm done with the chase. I agree that nothing quite matches a good CC but there are good NC's out there. On to the new chase...