What's new

Dominican vs Nicarauguan?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As a fellow nube I'd bet that you won't be able to taste the differences, yet. Pepper and sweet are pretty easy, but all the other nuanced flavors require an experienced palate. May i suggest you look at reviews of the cigars in question, take notes and try to tease out the flavors as you smoke them. Sometimes I think the flavors they describe are more a "remind you of" then an actual identifiable flavor.
I asked the question in an earlier thread and my notes follow:

Dominican Republic
Not as full as Cuban but flavorful used in complex blends (nacho says he often finds a metallic aftertaste)

Nic
Habano dark and spicy rich Cuban like Jalapa region is sweet (nacho says full spectrum of flavors)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.
Yea right now I just go with what tastes good to me not really trying to pick out any specific flavors.
As a long time cigarette smoker I am afraid I have damaged my palette to the point of no return.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
In the most general sense, Nicaraguans tend to be bolder and spicier with flavors more in the earthy coffee and cocoa range, where Dominicans tend to be smoother with flavors more towards woody and nutty. Those are just broad generalizations. There is a wide range within each group. Remember also that cigars are designated by the country they were rolled in. A cigar that is "Dominican" or "Nicaraguan" can also have tobacco from many different countries in it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like Dominican tobacco.

Try the Romeo Y Julieta Star Crossed Dark if you want to see what a good use of Dominican Piloto Cubana and Olor is all about. Give them about four to six weeks of rest.

Dominican Piloto Cubana can have the taste of nutmeg, vanilla, nuts, cinnamon and earth.

Nicaraguan tends to be darker in flavor with espresso, earth, oak, pepper, and dried fruit flavors.

That is broadly speaking and does not start to talk about Honduran, Brazilian, Cameroon, Besuki, or Sumatra leaf. There is usually a mix of tobaccos in most cigars.

Also the region and type of tobacco can change the flavor of tobacco from a country. You can get Corojo grown in Ometepe, Nicaragua and it will taste slightly different from other Corojo grown in a different region of Nicaragua. Another example is Connecticut Broadleaf and Pennsylvania Broadleaf. Plus a Sumatra leaf may be grown in Ecuador or Indonesia. You can also get Connecticut grown in the US or Ecuador.

It is almost impossible to tell exactly what a cigar from a certain country is going to taste like without knowing more about where the leaves were grown. That comes with a lot of experience and reading.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Instead of one or the other, I prefer both... I also enjoy a few Honduran sticks. And of course, there are some Cubans on my humidor a well.
Why does it have to be an either or? And let's face it, there are not many of either (Nic. or Dom.) which are puros (made of tobacco solely from that country) anyway.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
always there are exceptions, like Fuente or LFD....
generally I don't like Dominican tobacco, it has off-putting character to me.
There are so many excellent strains of tobacco grown in Nicaragua that I could smoke them the rest of my life and never miss Dominican tobacco.
Lots of top notch blenders in Nicaragua..............

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Litto Gomez Diez cigars are a indeed a Dominican puro, and they are what Opus X only dreams of being.
:D
Of course, that is just this one guy's own personal opinion.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Not a fan of LFD at all but like LG small batch a great deal. I'd take that over most opus.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
If you add Cuban tobacco, its like a game of rock paper scissors to me. Different profiles can be had, and some are a winning choice for the moment to me.