What's new

Dr Nathanw13's Horrible 'What do I like?' Sing-A-Long Thread

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
I'm going to try and review every new cigar I smoke here, and I figure there's no point littering up the forums with a new thread every time I smoke a new stick. So this is my review thread. Feel free to comment here with any of your own tasting notes after I've reviewed one - I value all of your input. I'm copying my Punch review here for the sake of consolidation.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Punch After Dinner 7 1/4 X 45

Enjoyed this with Rum over ice.
Light leathery notes on the unlit pull, slightly sweet wrapper.
First few draws came in really strong with the earthy notes. This gave way to a rich nutty/earthy mix, with what I'd call a 'sweet oats' flavor in the mix.
Late half/third developed a little spice, some cocoa, and some of that leather came back.
Overall good smoke - had to relight once about halfway through. A quick purge netted no loss in flavor. Would smoke again.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Soledad Churchill 7 X 50

Had my first real disappointment here.
The beautiful dark wrapper smelled lightly sweet, with a hint of coffee.
The unlit pull was very weak, but I got a little of that coffee from it.
It lit up fairly well, and the first third was full of everything that the smell promised. It was creamy, had nice notes of coffee with a bit of hazelnut, and was relaxing in front of a fire. It burned a little uneven and it had a tight draw; the draw i fixed with a clean nail.

Then everything changed when the second third got going. Or rather didn't. The whole thing fell flat. It was like pulling burnt air. I purged it to no avail. I carried on with hopes that the flavor would return. But alas.
I got down to the last third with no sign of any flavor, and I ended it. I'll save the wrapper if I have another dark cigar develop a crack that needs repair. At least I only paid a buck for it.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Sam Leccia White Corona 4 X 46

The night is saved! This little powerhouse delivered on everything the Soledad promised, and more. The cream, the coffee, some added earthy notes. It was packed with flavor from the get go. I got some citrus from the first inch, which was a really nice surprise. I smoked this one down to my fingers and it left me wishing for more.
No issues staying lit, the draw was nice and even, and the flavor was more or less consistent all the way from start to finish.

I'm drawn to the idea of a great big cigar, but I'll have to keep an eye on the shorter sticks. The smokes I've preferred so far have been on the shorter side.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
I like the bean profile stuff. Did you ever get interested in infused?
I haven't yet, but it's on my list of things to try. I think once I've smoked my humidor down a bit I'll throw some infused in there and give them a go. Any names you recommend? Nubs are the standouts right now as far as I can see.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Gran Habano Corojo #5 Rothschild (4.5 x 50, HON)

GH seems to be a good 'go to' smoke for me. I've only had a few out of the bundle sampler yet, but all have been tasty and close to what I'm calling 'my taste' for now.

The wrapper smelled lightly nutty and a little earthy.
Easy raw pull after cutting, with a few of those nutty notes being supplemented by a bit of cocoa.
It lit easily and burned evenly the whole way down, and I didn't have to relight.
The flavor remained nutty with a hint of maybe cedar through the first third. The second third brought in those earthy notes and a little spice - a little pepper, and maybe something else.
The last third got a little toasty, like a bitter dark chocolate and maybe a bit of charred ceder. I smoked it down to my fingers, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
So I haven't been keeping track here of all my smokes... I've pulled a couple dog rockets out of my humidor, and made mental notes of what is or isn't worth a second pass. But I pulled a noteworthy stick out tonight - it's been a good day. No specific reason, just an overall good day. So I pulled out a Ramon Bueso Olancho 2006 Robusto (Thanks @GoBison!) and lit into it.

Great way to end a good day, and I'm starting to figure out what I like in a cigar. I prefer the Obscuro/Maduro wrappers, although I still enjoy the Connecticut. I thought I would prefer Churchills (the mental image of a long cigar is pervasive), but I'm finding that I prefer Robusto or shorter. Still can't decide what ring I like, I haven't tried enough small rings to get a good taste for them.

Anyway - This RBO was pretty much everything I've come to enjoy in a cigar. Great initial smell after pulling from the cello, and a great raw draw. I've also discovered that I like a punch over a cut - it gives me a much more satisfying draw. Notes of cocoa and almost a 'petrichor' aftertaste dominated most of the stick, with a little sweetness every once in a while. Just a little spice towards the last third (I purged at about that point) added to the mix nicely. I got just a little citrus, I think, on the retrohale.

I didn't get a any pics of this satisfying stick - I have a potato phone that doesn't like playing Pandora and taking pics at the same time. Music comes first.

I'll be looking for deals on this one in the future.

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
So I haven't been keeping track here of all my smokes... I've pulled a couple dog rockets out of my humidor, and made mental notes of what is or isn't worth a second pass. But I pulled a noteworthy stick out tonight - it's been a good day. No specific reason, just an overall good day. So I pulled out a Ramon Bueso Olancho 2006 Robusto (Thanks @GoBison!) and lit into it.

Great way to end a good day, and I'm starting to figure out what I like in a cigar. I prefer the Obscuro/Maduro wrappers, although I still enjoy the Connecticut. I thought I would prefer Churchills (the mental image of a long cigar is pervasive), but I'm finding that I prefer Robusto or shorter. Still can't decide what ring I like, I haven't tried enough small rings to get a good taste for them.

Anyway - This RBO was pretty much everything I've come to enjoy in a cigar. Great initial smell after pulling from the cello, and a great raw draw. I've also discovered that I like a punch over a cut - it gives me a much more satisfying draw. Notes of cocoa and almost a 'petrichor' aftertaste dominated most of the stick, with a little sweetness every once in a while. Just a little spice towards the last third (I purged at about that point) added to the mix nicely. I got just a little citrus, I think, on the retrohale.

I didn't get a any pics of this satisfying stick - I have a potato phone that doesn't like playing Pandora and taking pics at the same time. Music comes first.

I'll be looking for deals on this one in the future.
Glad you liked it Brother! Definitely keep your eyes open for sales on all the Ramon Bueso sticks! I picked them up off the cigar(dot)com Daily Deal.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Grabbed another good one tonight - 601 Brass Monkey (thanks @mjones9630!). This one had a couple of issues, but the flavor profile was great.

The raw smell was very strongly reminiscent of hay. This was the first cigar I've grabbed that presented that way, so I was immediately interested. The raw pull was a little tight, and a little sweet.

The first few lit pulls were an amazing sweet grass. Again - this was a first for me with this flavor profile. After that it gave way to more of that hay, and an unidentifiable 'mineral' flavor. It was a very nice mix, and every now and again they'd be joined by a little of that sweet grass I got at first light.

The second third it was joined in with a bit of spice, and the sweet notes stopped joining in. The mineral flavor intensified a bit, and the hay flavor just kept on coming.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I got. This stick was a bit problematic for me. The first issue was the draw. I opened it up a bit with a small tool I keep handy for just such an issue. I'm planning to get one of the 'PerfectDraw' tools to help with this. The second issue was that I just couldn't keep it lit. It took me three relights just to get through the first two thirds, and I ran out of time. I've got the cigar resting in a safe place, and I may try finishing it in a bit. I enjoyed it enough that I want to finish it, and I'll absolutely try to get my hands on another.

I'm going to get some Boveda packs for my humidor, too. For now, I've been using the sponge packs that came with my humidor, and it's been keeping at a consistent 70%. I think it would be better at 65%, and I wonder if that might be my problem keeping this stick lit.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Bummer that it had issues... those have always been real good to me.
I like to keep my stash around 65.. although, I wouldn't think you'd have those problems at 70. Maybe it was just a bunk stick. :(

Glad you enjoyed what you could though! Lol :playful::facepalm: