What's new

Dr. Pepper Taste Test Challenge

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
It is going to pitt the following two versus each other in the ultimate DP Taste Test Challenge

Introducing first... in the blue corner:

Non-chilled 12 fl oz. aluminum can, canned in Houston, TX made with high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar

And the contender in the red corner:

Chilled 8 fl oz. glass bottle, bottled in Dublin, TX made with Imperial cane sugar

Tale of the Tape:

Can vs. Bottle - Advantage Bottle
Chilled vs. Non-chilled - Undecisive
Sugars - Advantage Bottle
Price - Advantage Can

Rules of the Bout:

10 rounds of challenge, 2 contenders, 4 ring corners

Let's get reeeeeeeeeeaddyyyy to drinkkkkkkkk-uhhhhh!"

DING! DING! DING!

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
john tripp said:
You are a bizzare man.

This is coming froma man who send me a drink that peeled the fiinsh off my wood pipe and magizine rack when it spilled....

Hell I am the weird one to drink the stuff too

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
the dublin bottle has to win. it's really not even close.

the best thing is that in Temple, we can get Dublin cans for less than $2.50/six-pack.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Gotta be the bottle - that Dublin-brewed DP is gooooood There's a place near me that has Coke made with pure cane sugar (imports it) -- it's pretty good, too

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
scottsins said:
the dublin bottle has to win. it's really not even close.

the best thing is that in Temple, we can get Dublin cans for less than $2.50/six-pack.
I would think so too. However, I'm going to put the test in a controlled enviornment for both tonight. The problem for me is that I enjoy drinking DP in the cans unchilled and will always drink a beverage from a bottle chilled. Add to the fact that I was doing different activities while enjoying both...

My best buddy is coming over after work and we are going to do a double blind taste test. Same kind of glasses, served at the same temperature.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
sunivy said:
Gotta be the bottle - that Dublin-brewed DP is gooooood There's a place near me that has Coke made with pure cane sugar (imports it) -- it's pretty good, too
Mexican made Coke maybe? IIRC, it's still made with cane sugar and/or has a slightly different recipe.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
The results are in...

Dublin bottle knocks out Houston can in 8 rounds!

My buddy and I scored perfectly on a blind taste test. The Dublin DP had a much less carbonated, tickly feel to it. More refined and definetly smoother on the palette. There was something suprising however. The Dublin DP was alot lighter and had I guessed on color alone - I would have failed the test.

The best part of the whole experiment? I got to drink all the remaining DP!

Overall, I would rate the Dublin DP at 15-30% better tasting than regular canned DP.

Worth the price? Probably not.
Worth the treat? Definetly.