What's new

Dressbox vs Humidor

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, for those of us who don't have the larger cabinet style humis, and don't have the quantity to have the coolerdors set up yet, what difference, if any is there between storing smokes in their dressboxes vs in a humidor? I'm talking dressboxes here, not cedar chests or SLBs. Other than the old worry about flavors mixing, is there a reason not to just throw them in the humi?

ETA: Just noticed that this might not be obvious. The dressboxes would be stored in a humidified location. :skew:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying a bit of an experiment myself on this. Currently, I have everything in their original boxes (dress or cab) except a few traded or gifted sticks which are in baggies. I have 10 Boli PC in a tray with the remaining 40 in the cab. I plan to smoke 1 of each back to back at roughly 6 month intervals to see if there is a noticeable difference.

A widely accepted theory is that cigars stored in the open will 'mature' faster than those in a tightly enclosed environment. Dress boxes are thought to 'mature' more quickly than cabs. However, they will also 'expire' more rapidly.

IMO in the near term i.e. less than 6 months of box age, you will not notice much of a difference since the improvements will largely be based on the getting over the hump of the sick period, etc. rather than storage environment. If you will smoke these cigars in 3 years or less, I would leave them in the open in your humi. The benefits that can be attained by undisturbed aging i.e. 'wine in a bottle theory' that MRN speaks of will not occur in such a short period. Not a complete and concise answer but hopefully you get what I mean. JMHO.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yeah, as quickly as these are becoming not even half-full boxes, I think they are going into the humi soon. Of course if anyone decides to pull the trigger on Monte 4s, Boli PCs or RyJ Ex. No. 4s any time soon, lemme know! LOL

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jwrussell said:
OK, for those of us who don't have the larger cabinet style humis, and don't have the quantity to have the coolerdors set up yet, what difference, if any is there between storing smokes in their dressboxes vs in a humidor? I'm talking dressboxes here, not cedar chests or SLBs. Other than the old worry about flavors mixing, is there a reason not to just throw them in the humi?

ETA: Just noticed that this might not be obvious. The dressboxes would be stored in a humidified location. :skew:
Yes, there is a difference. The dress box will restrict airflow. As we know, the less air, the slower to age. The slower to age, the more refined the smoke. It might not be a gigantic difference. But a difference non the less.