What's new

Drew Estate 0_o

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've been struggling with this since I've come back to smoking cigars after about a 3 year hiatus. Prior to my disconnect from the cigar world, the only thing I had seen from Drew Estates were the Acid and Java line. I smoked a couple of these suckers way back when I first started my journey and they all tasted and smelled like potpourri other than the Java which my wife likes every not and then. Now, they have all these lines out such as Liga (which to be fair, I've only ever had the flying pig and it made me sick), Herrera Esteli (enjoy), Undercrown (had a couple puffs and can't remember) and Norteno (have not had yet). So my question is, what the heck happened?! To be honest, I'm still a little scared when I show up in my local B&M and come across the DE lines, but all I ever hear about the stuff is positive. Someone please enlighten me.

***NOTICE. This is not a ploy for free sticks. Simply seeking info.***

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
What happened is JD decided he didn't just want to be known as a ACID purveyor, and Steve Saka and Nick Melillo shared a passion for a particular type of bold, dark, earthy nicaraguan flavor profile that has become very popular. They decided they wanted to be taken seriously in the cigar world, then they blended and put out some stellar smokes (No 9, T 52, Dirty Rat), and so Drew Estate's Liga Privada line took off like hot cakes. They've added some additional Unicos over the years to round out the line.

Then they came out with the Undercrown as a way to market a cheaper, somewhat less complex and less full-bodied, and smoother version of the No.9. Then the Nica Rustica as a cheap, bold, rough-around-the-edges smoke. Willy joined the team, and put out a couple of pretty great blends just as Saka and Nick left.

Honestly, for a boutique cigar company, they did a great job, and have been doing it for a number of years now. Caldwell and Crowned Head seem to be taking the mantle of "new hotness" on most forums, but there's still a ton of love for DE out there.

Only you can be the judge of whether they're worth the price of admission, and only way to do that is try 'em.

My opinion is that the Unico line is overpriced by a couple bucks. I love 'em, but the demand outstrips the production, and I don't want to pay market rates for them. The regular LP line (No.9 and T-52) are priced right at when you can find them around $10, but overpriced at the $12-13 they often go for. The HE Norteno I would stock en masse if they weren't that miserable flat shape, and the regular HE lonsdale is a really solid smoke.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What happened is JD decided he didn't just want to be known as a ACID purveyor, and Steve Saka and Nick Melillo shared a passion for a particular type of bold, dark, earthy nicaraguan flavor profile that has become very popular. They decided they wanted to be taken seriously in the cigar world, then they blended and put out some stellar smokes (No 9, T 52, Dirty Rat), and so Drew Estate's Liga Privada line took off like hot cakes. They've added some additional Unicos over the years to round out the line.

Then they came out with the Undercrown as a way to market a cheaper, somewhat less complex and less full-bodied, and smoother version of the No.9. Then the Nica Rustica as a cheap, bold, rough-around-the-edges smoke. Willy joined the team, and put out a couple of pretty great blends just as Saka and Nick left.

Honestly, for a boutique cigar company, they did a great job, and have been doing it for a number of years now. Caldwell and Crowned Head seem to be taking the mantle of "new hotness" on most forums, but there's still a ton of love for DE out there.

Only you can be the judge of whether they're worth the price of admission, and only way to do that is try 'em.

My opinion is that the Unico line is overpriced by a couple bucks. I love 'em, but the demand outstrips the production, and I don't want to pay market rates for them. The regular LP line (No.9 and T-52) are priced right at when you can find them around $10, but overpriced at the $12-13 they often go for. The HE Norteno I would stock en masse if they weren't that miserable flat shape, and the regular HE lonsdale is a really solid smoke.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
lol, I'm glad it made you chuckle, but I'm dead serious about it! I love the flavors, hate, hate, HATE, HATE that stupid flat oval shape. You have to smoke it with your lips flat, like you're taking a duckface selfie, or playing a recorder or something. I firmly believe it would have sold so much better if it was round, though I have zero data to back that up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're making some solid smokes, hope that continues after the acquisition settles in though:nailbiting:. Their sticks do seem to be attracting a premium at the counter:(

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
lol, I'm glad it made you chuckle, but I'm dead serious about it! I love the flavors, hate, hate, HATE, HATE that stupid flat oval shape. You have to smoke it with your lips flat, like you're taking a duckface selfie, or playing a recorder or something. I firmly believe it would have sold so much better if it was round, though I have zero data to back that up.
Lmfao I don't hate the box press, but I can understand where you are coming from.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I enjoyed the Rustica but I like a lil' salt with my pepper. Haven't tried the Ligas, HE , Unico, or the Norteno but I had an Undercrown at the lounge yesterday and it made me yawn. Went back to the humidor and grabbed a Melanio to savor with the guys. I'm with you Stogie; I'd love that Serie V even more w/o the box press.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I started with Drews stuff. Not really the acid but with the Isla del Sol and a few naturals. I then moved on to try the UC which I for one enjoy. Then into the uzi, and some of the other associated brands like JDN. Imho the dark corojo is better than the antano.
Now I rarely touch the infused but once in a while its a good change.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
They're making some solid smokes, hope that continues after the acquisition settles in though:nailbiting:. Their sticks do seem to be attracting a premium at the counter:(
Used to love LP but right now, I don't know if there's anything they're putting out that I would buy.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I agree with this 1000%. If they released these without the press I'd stock up on them. Hell if they had a soft press I'd stock up on them.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I really like the Liga line, but also feel they are just too overpriced. I love the undercrown, but prefer the gran Toro over the corona. The different vitola can make a huge difference. I'm still waiting for Liga craze to go down to make them more affordable, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0