What's new

Pics - DE KFC Barn Smoker

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
OK, pics time! I'll spread this out over a few posts.

Arrived at the event around 10am:
DE1.JPG

It's hard to capture the scale of this farm with just pictures - there are a lot of other barns that aren't in these 2 rows:
DE2.JPG

Here's one of the barns - if you look closely you'll see that there's tobacco at the top, too. Each barn has 4 "levels" or "layers" of tobacco hanging, with a smaller extra layer at the top in the middle section. They don't waste any space:
DE3.JPG

This trailer marked the entrance to the event section of the farm:

DE4.JPG

Where we all gathered in one of the tobacco filled barns:
DE5.JPG

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
There was a large fire out back - this would become a popular hangout as it was overcast and chilly outside today, and is also the source of fire used in the fire curing process:
DE6.JPG

JD and Robert Gray kick off the first stage of the tour, between the fire and one of the barns:
DE7.JPG

Inside the fire curing barns, large rows of hardwood sawdust/mulch cover most of the ground, with strategically placed holes:
DE9.JPG

Coals are scooped from the fire and loaded into the buckets on the right side of the pic:
DE8.JPG

And then placed in the holes in the sawdust rows:
DE10.JPG

The idea is to keep the wood smoldering, without catching fire. Temps in the barn will reach 130-140 degrees, and the barn will cook for 7-10 days before taking a day off to bring in more wood and doing it again. Sprinklers inside the barns are used to keep the fire from smoldering too hot and turning into a barn fire. The process was likened to that of smoking meat, or for smoking grains as used in some liquors. The process is not exactly the same every time - smoking time and temps are adjusted to accommodate each harvest - the example given was, a "lighter" hardwood mulch/sawdust might be used if the tobacco is more moist than usual, to get temps up faster inside the barn.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Inside the next barn over, Willie Herrera explains that just a small amount of tobacco is needed to add that fire cured flavor to a cigar, and Lee Crawford discusses different types of tobacco:
DE11.JPG

While farm employees remove cured leaves from the stalks to be stacked in pilons and begin the sweating process:
DE12.JPG

Pedro Gomez (I think?) spoke about Drew Estate:
DE14.JPG

In the 3rd and final barn, we were all given pipes and a little sample bag of Tsuge, while DE's pipe tobacco guy (can't remember his name) gave us pipe noobs a crash course in pipe smoking. Smoke from the pipe tobacco filled the barn:
DE13.JPG

And we all played with some tobacco:
DE15.JPG
Isn't that last pic great? The camera angle makes it look like I have a left hand on the end of my right arm.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Being a DE event, I figured I had to smoke this LP9:
DE16.JPG

Which ended up being the cigar I was smoking when I got to shake hands with JD:
DE17.PNG

Got to meet Willie Herrera too:
DE18.PNG

And for @BigRedMacklin - Jeff Tinell:
DE19.PNG
When I introduced myself to Jeff, I showed him the pic you posted above and said that you'd told me to give him a bear hug. He looked at my phone, laughed, thanked me for the warning, and graciously accepted the hug. Then he told me all about how you tried to tackle him that one time...

Lots of fun and lots of really cool people. Lots of money was raised for Cigars for Warriors, and everyone got to take home a nice little goodie bag:
DE20.JPG

I can't wait to do this again. (y)