Size: Toro (6 x 52rg)

Capa: Otapan Negro Último Corte
Capote: T52 Connecticut River Valley Stalk Cut & Cured Habano
Tripa: Select Brazilian Mata Fina and Nicaraguan Cuban Seed

Binder: Stalk-Cut Connecticut

Wrapper: San Andres Negro Maduro

Price: $168/Box

Quote:
In early 2009 we asked our torcedores to smoke less Liga Privada cigars because they were leaving too few to be exported. This request was met with the disappointment you would expect, but rather than being disgruntled they responded by blending their own signature liga.

Incorporating many of the same rare tobaccos, but of different vintages and primings, the cigar they created was no mere replacement. Rather it is an exceptional smoking experience of uncompromising quality and flavor that deserves to be smoked by all.

It is always the master makers who are heralded, but the reality is that great cigars are the product of many talented people, most of whom toil in factories with no publicity ever. They are the uncelebrated heroes who make all of our lives more pleasurable with the cigars they craft. And therefore, it is with great pleasure that we are now sharing their factory floor creation with you as Undercrown, borne of our worker’s ingenuity, recsourcefulness, and passion for a great cigar
- Drew Estate

Pre-Light: Smells of cedar, light traces of linseed oil, and a hint of fresh cut pine. This cigar is beautiful in every way. From the consistancy in the roll, to the flawless San Andres wrapper. You would be hard pressed to find a better looking cigar anywhere. The band is understated, but elegant using gold accents to offsent the rest of the dark blue artwork. This cigar is very heavy in the hand, having a very firm roll.

Light: I toast the foot evenly, and take a couple of puffs to get it started. I am instantly met with a wall of spice that seems to roll over my tongue, but doesn’t seem to make the sinus burn. A very buttery, beautiful chocolate follows with touches charred woodiness that leaves the back of the throat tingling.

1/3rd: The spice continues through, but it takes a backseat to the woodiness with chocolate edges. The creaminess is keeping me very surprised, as the Liga Privada lines I have reviewed in the past made me think that this smoke would be more full bodied that it is. It is a very pleasant surprise to find a maduro wrapped nicaraguan that falls into the the medium bodied categroy. It seems that far too often these days, cigar makers are chasing strength and full bodiedness and use flavor as an after-thought.

½ Way: The smoke is becoming a bit heavier now. Beginning to feel the nicotine levels rising a bit in my blood stream now. The flavor is still creamy and buttery as it was in the beginning, just not quite as much spice. The burn has remained razor sharp since lighting, I start to taste a bit of coffee in the background. It almost tastes like a Sumatra blend, having a few citrus notes in the finish. Very sweet notes follow. The natural tobacco sweetness is wonderful for retro-haling. While the cigar draws very easily, and puts off extrordinary clouds of sweet-tobacco smoke, it burns very very slow. I am now reaching the hour and 45 minute mark.

Final 3rd: A big of the creaminess has gone, but in its place is a slight hickory flavor that reminds me of the BBQ pits of Victoria, Texas that I encounter when traveling south to visit family. The chocolate sweetness has developed into a more heady cocoa tang, without being acidic or harsh. This has become what I would call an epic smoke. The smoke has also built up a bit, becoming a more medium-full bodied cigar at this point.

Final Thoughts: I had more problems trying to write a review on this cigar than any other. There are absolutely no problems with the cigar, the problems lay with me. Everytime I would get half-way into the review, I would end up leaning back and relaxing, forgetting to complete the review! It took three cigars just to get to a point where I could focus while smoking one. From the obsessive construction to the unforgettable flavors, this cigar stands out in every way possible. If you are a fan of medium to medium-full bodied smokes, it would be a crime against the leaf-gods not to try the Undercrown!

Go to dailytobacconist.com for the full review, full-color pictures, and the final score!