What's new

Driving?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
So for you guys that smoke on your commute or just when your out & about, is it aggravating? I’ve about got to the point that I’ve learned to pack a bowl & puff on it correctly so that it doesn’t go out & the pipe doesn’t overheat. I still have to do a relight every now & then but not as often as before. I’m a police officer as most of you already know. I’m about to swap to night shift & it’s nice to smoke on something while patrolling around on some of our rural country roads at night when there’s not a lot going on. I used to smoke cigarettes so they weren’t an issue, just light, smoke, & toss when your done or have to put it out quickly. I tried it a few times with cigars. Most of the time I got to smoke a whole one, but there were several times that I had to toss a decent stick half way through to go to a call, stop a car, etc.. With a pipe, I could just set it down to do whatever I needed to do & relight when I get done. But, is it a pain to drive & keep it tamped & burning, & deal with relights?

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
No problem piping while driving:
- Hold your pipe at the correct 10 o'clock position, and your tamper at the 2.
- For relights simply hit your flashers. Folks will get the hell out of your way so you can relight in comfort (and safety).

All things considered I'd think relights would be the biggest PITA while driving.
The best advise I ever got was to smoke your baccy just when you think it's too dry.
For dampish blends I'll lay out my baccy the night before or give it the 8 sec. nuke treatment before packing.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I smoke mostly when driving. I learned at a young age to drive with my knees so I can have my hands free lol. But really, that makes tamping and relighting a lot easier. Are you guys allowed to smoke in your patrol cars?
Yea they don’t mind us smoking in them. We have enough units that we take ours home instead of sharing. Once you get assigned one it’s pretty much yours for a while. As long as you keep it washed & regular maintenance like oil changes they don’t say to much. They’re basically our mobile office.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I smoke mostly when driving. I learned at a young age to drive with my knees so I can have my hands free lol. But really, that makes tamping and relighting a lot easier. Are you guys allowed to smoke in your patrol cars?
That's what I'm trying to figure out lol, how the hell you gettin away with that @Yakcraz

kit_luce

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea they don’t mind us smoking in them. We have enough units that we take ours home instead of sharing. Once you get assigned one it’s pretty much yours for a while. As long as you keep it washed & regular maintenance like oil changes they don’t say to much. They’re basically our mobile office.
You must have a cool chief/sherriff (you a county guy or municipal)?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
You must have a cool chief/sherriff (you a county guy or municipal)?
I’m municipal, but we are pretty rural out here & it’s the south so smoking it still socially acceptable. Our department actually has an exhaust fan in the break room where they used to smoke in the building. Our jurisdiction actually consists of our city limits & sections of the four surrounding counties. The local sheriffs offices are usually the ones calling us for backup or to catch their calls.

Last edited:

kit_luce

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m municipal, but we are pretty rural out here & it’s the south so smoking it still socially acceptable. Our department actually has an exhaust fan in the break room where the ised to smoke in the building. Our jurisdiction actually consists of our city limits & sections of the four surrounding counties. The local sheriffs offices are usually the ones calling us for backup or to catch their calls.
Nice, that's pretty cool, they are super strick on or local Leo on, well, pretty much everything.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried this myself but I remember years ago seeing a YouTube video where the guy was using a thimble on one finger and using that as a tamp while driving. He could hold the pipe and tamp it with the same hand.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Like Kelvin said, there's way too much going on. He gets it a lot worse than me since he commutes westward into NYC area. I'm on the opposite end of the island so it's a little different for me but still dangerous. I've tried it and I too just smoke cigars while driving. Although, there were a few times I smoked my pipe, packed it perfectly and only had to tamp it a few times and zero relights while driving. Was so nice...

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I do every morning
I am fortunate enough where i only make 2 or 3 turns in a 8-10min commute. I just spend a few extra seconds making sure I got a solid light up before I pull out of the driveway. Pretty quiet roads so tamping isnt an issue